• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

Looks like it went down and went back already. 927 was on the vermonter 917 had the train 97 boy scout special
  by aem7ac921

Thanks! It's cool that there r still several operating, especially north of NYC. I actually heard from a friend later in the day that 946 was on 88 last night so I went down to visit it. Upon departure, the nice engineer gave me a nice shave & a haircut. Glad to hear that it's horn isn't as crummy as others (such as 908). Just out of curiosity does anyone know the situation of the leased units to MARC? When Amtrak officially retires the last toaster (probably by the end of February), MARC will be up a creek until they get their chargers to fully replace their electric fleet. I heard that they haven't used their DC toasters in awhile and several HHP-8s are supposedly sidelined for various mechanical reasons. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be most beneficial to everyone if Amtrak keeps their last 9 toasters in service so that MARC has something to use for the meantime? The last 9 are probably the most reliable and shouldn't be too much of a burden on Amtrak's mechanical teams.
  by DutchRailnut

If Marc wants to pay for standby or usable units great, but as for Amtrak let them do what is best for Amtrak , not what we feel Amtrak should do.
  by aem7ac921

DutchRailnut wrote:If Marc wants to pay for standby or usable units great, but as for Amtrak let them do what is best for Amtrak , not what we feel Amtrak should do.
Quite true. Mr. DutchRailnut, pardon my asking but you said you were recently released from Stalag 13 as your location. Did you happen to know a Colonel Robert Hogan or Corporal Peter Newkirk? :-D
Back to a more serious note, does anyone have a ballpark estimate as to how much an AEM-7 would be worth if it was purchased by a museum or another group with preservation in mind?
  by DutchRailnut

scrap value of 91.63 tons, not considering parting out of components, probably close to $110k
  by 8th Notch

#946 was on 66 this morning, should turn for 67 this evening if everything goes according to plan.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

919 lead train #173 out of Boston today, 21st
  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:scrap value of 91.63 tons, not considering parting out of components, probably close to $110k
Buy out the lease, 1.5 Million.
  by DutchRailnut

are AEM-7's leased ?
  by ApproachMedium

All but 8 AC models are under lease contract and a bunch of the DC models that have not been scrapped, are also under a lease too.
  by 8th Notch

917, 919 on 86 today. Not sure if it will make the normal turn tomorrow with the cancelations.
  by aem7ac921

ApproachMedium wrote:All but 8 AC models are under lease contract and a bunch of the DC models that have not been scrapped, are also under a lease too.
Correct me sir if I'm mistaken, but aren't most of the ACs leased from Alstom, their rebuilder? From what I heard, Amtrak sold all their ACs to Alstom except 904, 914, 928, 934, 936, 939, 942, and 944 after the economic difficulties of the early 2000's which left a portion of the fleet mothballed. It was cheaper to lease them rather than to physically own them. I also heard that all of the DCs were owned by Amtrak and not leased. If some were, so you happen to know which units and who owned them?
  by ApproachMedium

I dont know that they are leased to alstom, i just know its a bank. The blue cards do not say otherwise though, they still say Amtrak. Theres a couple they own. The DCs I think i mistaked there, they are all owned not leased.
  by aem7ac921

I just recieved word that the fleet of AEM-7s is now 6. Does anyone know which 2 units were retired?
  by CNJGeep

aem7ac921 wrote:I just received word that the fleet of AEM-7s is now 6. Does anyone know which 2 units were retired?
921 was one of them, forget the other