Railroad Forums 

• Amfleet Replacement Discussion.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1542992  by gokeefe

Yeah no kidding. Really weird. Only explanation I can imagine is they expect reduced ridership for some time to come with full recovery coinciding with receipt of new equipment.
 #1543025  by mtuandrew

Matt Johnson wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:08 pm Surprised to see 'em being sold already!

http://railfan.com/excursion-operator-b ... leet-cars/
Wow. Really amazing to hear that - and once more of those cars get out of Amtrak's hands, I think the public will start to see Amfleet for the elders they are. (Also, of all the cars rostered in America right now that could potentially be for sale, why Amfleets? They are comfortable enough but definitely not "sightseeing" cars.)
 #1543073  by John_Perkowski

west point wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:16 pm How can Amtrak sell cars when New Haven - Hartford needs another 1 - 2 cars on each of 3 train sets ?
Amfleet cars no longer meet FRA escape standards with their narrow windows. Horizons do not either. Each window must be at least 26 x 24.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/238.113
 #1543076  by eolesen

Were there some Amfleets in one of the Beech Grove auctions? I can see a few of these in commuter service, but yeah, the windows are a problem.
 #1543083  by gokeefe

Interesting how this can be seen as a cost-saving measure. Reduce requirements for future inspections and generate a small amount of revenue.
 #1543091  by R36 Combine Coach

John_Perkowski wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm Amfleet cars no longer meet FRA escape standards with their narrow windows. Horizons do not either. Each window must be at least 26 x 24.
When did the specification become effective? The Comet Vs were the first cars with large windows (though the 1988 MBB coaches have large windows as oddballs, much like the small Silverliner III fleet in 1967, the latter large compared to the Arrows).
 #1543270  by David Benton

I believe that is correct , but the report into the South Carolina crash , and banana shaped Amfleet may change that . OTOH , they would surely have made a interment recommendation , if they thought they were very unsafe.