• East Long Distance Train Consist's

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Amtrak67 of America

Hello all, im sure by now you have noticed that the LD trains running out of NYC have had there consist changed for about a month with the sleepers and bags on the rear end of the train. I couldnt figure out the reason why and I finally saw the service advisory bulletin stating that trains 91-92, 19-20 were going to have the consist changed to the way you see it now to make the trains easily interchangeable with 48-49 so that the trains dont have to be taken apart during the cold winter months. Trains 97-98 may have been mentioned as well as I believe that train is running this way as well. Thoughts?
  by hi55us

Amtrak67 of America wrote:Hello all, im sure by now you have noticed that the LD trains running out of NYC have had there consist changed for about a month with the sleepers and bags on the rear end of the train. I couldnt figure out the reason why and I finally saw the service advisory bulletin stating that trains 91-92, 19-20 were going to have the consist changed to the way you see it now to make the trains easily interchangeable with 48-49 so that the trains dont have to be taken apart during the cold winter months. Trains 97-98 may have been mentioned as well as I believe that train is running this way as well. Thoughts?
Train 97 had the sleepers(3) and the baggage at the rear today.

It must be frustrating for the staitons down south to handle baggage sometimes at the front and sometimes at the rear...
  by Jersey_Mike

I think they did this last year as well. Hopefully it won't affect 19/20 when I plan to travel on it.
  by CarterB

Sleepers at the rear makes more sense to me for noise reduction anyway.
  by Greg Moore

Jersey_Mike wrote:I think they did this last year as well. Hopefully it won't affect 19/20 when I plan to travel on it.
19/20 has both at the rear when I rode it to Atlanta and back in the past week.
  by cobra30689

19/20 has been terminating in ATL during the week because of NS trackwork....that may be the reason. I pass 20 in the morning and the bag, sleepers and diner are facing south on days where it doesn't come from NOL. Maybe they can't wye the train down there?
  by Greg Moore

cobra30689 wrote:19/20 has been terminating in ATL during the week because of NS trackwork....that may be the reason. I pass 20 in the morning and the bag, sleepers and diner are facing south on days where it doesn't come from NOL. Maybe they can't wye the train down there?
Wye it where? NO or ATL? They wye it at both places as far as I know. My train to ATL terminated in Atlanta and the sleepers were at the real. My train back to NYP started in New Orleans, and the sleepers were in the real.
  by ApproachMedium

They do it this way so any consist can be swapped with any consist, mainly the lake shore consists being able to be sent south to be thawed out. Its all a part of being flexible. I agree the sleepers should be kept at the back all of the time for the noise reduction, but since they consider it "first class" maybe thats why it goes up front? I really don't know. I would be curious to know how railroads of days past had kept consists year round. We all know baggage cars were always head end cars but where were sleepers and where was coach?

And for those who do not know the Lake Shore Limited runs out of sunnyside as follows: Loco-Coaches-Diner-Viewliners-Baggage. They do it this way so when they arrive at Albany the boston section which is: Locos-Bag-Viewliners-Coaches-Cafe can be easily backed on to the NYC section at albany once the P32 is removed. The train often makes double stops in stations to accommodate the sleepers on either end and the loading/unloading of both baggage cars.
  by Ken W2KB

ApproachMedium wrote:They do it this way so any consist can be swapped with any consist, mainly the lake shore consists being able to be sent south to be thawed out. Its all a part of being flexible. I agree the sleepers should be kept at the back all of the time for the noise reduction, but since they consider it "first class" maybe thats why it goes up front? I really don't know. I would be curious to know how railroads of days past had kept consists year round. We all know baggage cars were always head end cars but where were sleepers and where was coach?

And for those who do not know the Lake Shore Limited runs out of sunnyside as follows: Loco-Coaches-Diner-Viewliners-Baggage. They do it this way so when they arrive at Albany the boston section which is: Locos-Bag-Viewliners-Coaches-Cafe can be easily backed on to the NYC section at albany once the P32 is removed. The train often makes double stops in stations to accommodate the sleepers on either end and the loading/unloading of both baggage cars.
I made a business trip on 91/92 between Newark, NJ to Tampa a couple weeks ago. My sleeping car compartment still had the Lakeshore timetable so I put two and two together. ;-)
  by JimBoylan

ApproachMedium wrote:I would be curious to know how railroads of days past had kept consists year round. We all know baggage cars were always head end cars but where were sleepers and where was coach?
Observation cars on the end were often 1st Class territory, so it would make sense to put the sleepers, parlor cars, and 1st Class Lounge and Dining cars near the back of the train, with coaches and Coffee Shop car near the front. However, Barber Shops and Men's Smoking Lounges were often in the Combination car up front. Maybe trains with those amenities were all 1st Class, with no coaches? The only historical remark I remember was a trip report in "Trains Magazine" about the 1st Eastbound run of the New York Central's "Empire State Express". The reporter was scandalized to find his Parlor Car up front, where before, the Baggage Smasher had been banished!. The newspapers didn't report this discourtesy the next day, they were more interested in the "Day of Infamy" in the Pacific.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote: I agree the sleepers should be kept at the back all of the time for the noise reduction, but since they consider it "first class" maybe thats why it goes up front? I really don't know. I would be curious to know how railroads of days past had kept consists year round. w all know baggage cars were always head end cars but where were sleepers and where was coach?
My understanding is the sleepers went on the front because there was is less potential for slack action. The old timers tell tales of people being thrown from their berths when the sleepers are on the rear.

For the record, 48/49 aren't turning to 91/92 this winter. The extra lounges have been taken out.
  by ApproachMedium

As long as the consist of 49/48 was on my trip. I did not feel a thing and the sleepers were in the back of the train. Also on the Auto Train the coach section is usually the south end of the train and sleepers are usually north correct? I rode Coach down and sleeping car back a few years ago and did not notice any ride discomforts from slack on either trip. There was plenty of track discomfort though going south!
  by ApproachMedium

I dont even know why its lasted this long. The weather really hasn't been bad. I dont even think I have seen the LSL come in once yet with any snow on it.