• East Long Distance Train Consist's

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by trainmaster611

Thank god. Getting stuck in the coach directly behind the locomotives for an overnight trip is a nightmare. The horns blaring all night are not conducive to any level of possible sleep.
  by ApproachMedium

I was in the sleeper before the last on the LSL and I still heard the horn all night. Thats about 10 cars back lol. I dont know why the sleepers dont stay in the back of the train all the time. For the money you pay for them things I want to be as far away from the noisemaker as possible! However there should always be a baggage car between the loco and coaches.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ApproachMedium wrote:....I want to be as far away from the noisemaker as possible!
Wholly agree, Mr. Approach - and let it be noted that you apparently do this stuff for a living.

About a month ago, riding #352(2MAR) to Ann Arbor, I was in the Business Class car which was on the head. I called a friend (not a railfan) in Michiana Shores when passing his home (in sight during Winter if you know where to look) at MP 224. When the horn sounded for that X-ing, he said "you have to pay extra to listen to that?"
  by ThirdRail7

'Tis the season. The consists of the long distance trains that originated/terminate in SSYD are in the process of being reversed for the winter run-throughs.
  by ApproachMedium

They really waited a long time this year. I feel like last year or the year before they were swapped in Nov.
  by eastwind

ApproachMedium wrote:The weather really hasn't been bad. I dont even think I have seen the LSL come in once yet with any snow on it.
It's not the snow, it's the *cold*. Daytime highs below the freezing mark in the Midwest for weeks. That's got to take a toll.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:They really waited a long time this year. I feel like last year or the year before they were swapped in Nov.
It looks like they waited too long. I'm sure you heard about the "one trip and done shopper" on the Lake Shore. That car stinks!
  by SouthernRailway

Why do LD trains not just stay with the baggage and sleeping cars at the end all year?
  by ApproachMedium

Just saw train 19 and 20 friday and both were normal. Whats up with that? LOL

With no steam heat in SSYD to thaw out cars its incredibly more difficult to unfreeze the frozen trains. There is only so much a torpeedo heater can do in 10 degree weather with wind blowing on it. Its like pissing in the wind on your farm and calling it rain.
  by GP40MC 1116

What is the current "normal" consist for Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited Boston section? I have seen it with a mix of Amfleet 1/Amfleet 1 coaches, a Heritage baggage car and Viewliner Sleeper. On a rare occasion with a Horizon coach or dinette as well. Also, what are the typical consist on the long distance trains from New York to Florida and Pennsylvanian and Chicago. I am looking to get photographs of other equipment than Amfleet 1 coach and cafe cars. Many thanks for the information.
  by CNJGeep

42/43 is usually 3 Amfleet IIs, an Amfleet I, a cafe, and a business class Am I. They equipment swap with 89/90, with a baggage car on those trains.
  by srock1028

Silver Service and Crescent: Engine, Amfleet 1s, Amfleet 1 café, Dining Car, 2-3 Sleepers, Baggage car.
Cardinal: Engine, Baggage car, 1-2 sleepers, Amfleet 1 café, Amfleet 1s.
  by JimBoylan

On Nov. 12 and 13, 2014, the Silver Service trains were using 4 Amfleet II coaches instead of the undetermined amount of Amfleet I coaches, the rest of the consist was as listed above. The Silver Star had 2 Sleepers, the Silver Meteor had 3. The Star's Diner had the Meteor's menus Southbound on Nov. 12.
  by Backshophoss

A typical consist for #448/449 could be P-42,Baggage,Viewliner I sleeper,Amfleet/Horizen Cafe rigged half
Dinette,half lounge(Biz class)and a pair of Amfleet I/II coaches.
  by west point

Amtrak is taking a short sighted view about train lengths. It is time for all the major LD trains to be planned for 16 - 17 cars which is the limit of HEP of all present loco and motor orders. That is 1000 Kw.