• East Long Distance Train Consist's

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

They're focusing on short distance day trains which carry far more passengers. The Long Distance segment isn't going to get healthier with huge train lengths that require 20 minute stops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Greg Moore

Why do you think that? I'd argue that most of the trains are long enough and you won't double business by doubling the length of a train, but would have more luck with twice as many trains so you can serve people over a wide range of times.
  by mtuandrew

west point wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm Amtrak is taking a short sighted view about train lengths. It is time for all the major LD trains to be planned for 16 - 17 cars which is the limit of HEP of all present loco and motor orders. That is 1000 Kw.
Realistically, I agree. We may see that again in the west if Amtrak replaces bilevel cars with singles.

MattW, thanks for reminding me about the need to cross over as well as the need to get off the main. I knew there was something I had forgotten when designing stations.
  by SouthernRailway

west point wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm Amtrak is taking a short sighted view about train lengths. It is time for all the major LD trains to be planned for 16 - 17 cars which is the limit of HEP of all present loco and motor orders. That is 1000 Kw.
I would tend to agree, as long as the costs of acquiring and running additional equipment would be covered by the additional ticket revenues. I would expect that Amtrak could do that, with the right ticket pricing. I also assume that the relatively short long-distance train consists are due to Amtrak simply not having more equipment, rather than a decision by Amtrak to keep consists short and fares high.

Weren't long-distance trains longer when Heritage coaches and sleepers were available, which would support the view that Amtrak would prefer to run longer trains if it had the equipment?
  by west point

SouthernRailway wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 am
I also assume that the relatively short long-distance train consists are due to Amtrak simply not having more equipment, rather than a decision by Amtrak to keep consists short and fares high.

Weren't long-distance trains longer when Heritage coaches and sleepers were available, which would support the view that Amtrak would prefer to run longer trains if it had the equipment?
That Is what this poster assumes. There are some big differences from legacy equipment to Amtrak of today. I cannot speak for other carriers but the ACL, SAL, and SOU ran their streamlined LD coaches as 44 reclining seat coaches. The heavy weight coaches were usually 52 seats . Pullmans that were 10 - 6 max capacity was about 42 10 sections 6 double bedrooms. Now Amfleet-2s are about 64 - 68 seats and Amfleet-1s 72 - 76

Siemens cars will carry what about 68. So a LD train of 16 cars with 12 or 13 revenue cars will probably carry more passengers that the legacy RRs.

IMO these longer trains can operate under some of these conditions. Seat assignment will be imperative with passenger to and from long platform stations assigned to what I call big platform station cars. Passengers to short platform stations assigned to short platform car with each set together on the train. That way short platform stations would only have to make one stop for coach passengers and maybe one for sleeper passengers. Long platform stations would need assigned coach numbers displayed for passenger boarding.
  by west point

Continuing those routes with 2 trains close together would be a very limited stop train much like the Broadway and 20th Century limited.