Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1277295  by theozno

gprimr1 wrote:Why discontinue the shuttles? Make the shuttles a limited stop alternative to the commuter rail. People will usually pay more to get their faster
you mention that. a good example of this right now is 479. It just misses 1595 and there must be 20 of us from that train stuck until 1597 leaves 1 hour later from that shuttle while the others another 20 or so take 179 to NY but like hell If I'm paying $50 to go to Stamford so I sit and wait. I have mentioned this to both Amtrak and MNRR in customer service suggestions. thats all I can do.
 #1277328  by Ridgefielder

shadyjay wrote:
BM6569 wrote:The realignment would keep space for a future track 2, right?
Yes, Track 2 will be going back in, I believe from North Haven to south of Hartford and from north of Hartford to Windsor, and eventually to Enfield. But for now I'm pretty sure the Hartford Viaduct and Conn River Bridge will remain single track.
Hartford will remain single-track pending the replacement of the whole viaduct, which will likely occur in conjunction with the demolition of the I-84 viaduct and the realignment of both road and railroad into a cutting or tunnel slightly to the west of the current station.

With regard to discontinuing the shuttles-- the issue there is speed. Like gprmir1 says, people will pay a premium to get where they are going quicker. There's a decent-sized business travel market into Hartford. Aetna Insurance, The Hartford, Travellers Group, and Phoenix Fire are all headquartered there, as is United Technologies, and it's also the state capitol. The business travelers will want to stick with Amtrak because of the amenities; the price conscious-- who now either take the Peter Pan bus to get to NY, or drive to New Haven to pick up Metro-North-- will be on the NH-H-S commuter trains.
 #1277384  by shadyjay

In what I've read, the shuttles would continue to make all the local stops. The commuter rail service would fill in the gaps in the schedule between shuttles.

Remember, the only real amenity the shuttles have over commuter rail is their 2x2 seating. That's it. No cafe car. No through cars. Nothing. And a NB shuttle can be delayed from departing NHV if its "counterpart" mainline train hasn't arrived into NHV. (ex: Train 104 operating from NYP to BOS is due into NHV at 12:05p, with Train 404 to SPG due to depart NHV at 12:15p. However, Train 104 is 1 hour late into NHV, thus delaying 404's departure). This is NO WAY to run a commuter service, and as ConnDOT as a primary financer of the shuttle service, I would think they'd want service that meets the needs of its instate customers on the commuter line.

So the solution may be to create more 140-series WAS (or even NYP) to SPG (or BOS) trains operating over the Springfield Line. These would be through trains (like the present day duo) that would not require changing trains at NHV and would have cafe service. I'd have these trains stop only at Meriden and Hartford (in between NHV and SPG), thus increasing speed. That way, those who wish to pay more and travel more comfortably can do so. Then you have the commuter rail service take over the shuttle slots plus other times and stop at all intermediate stations enroute between NHV and SPG. And you could easily change trains at NHV for New Haven Line or SLE service.

That's how it SHOULD work. But it won't. At least not yet.
 #1277399  by R30A

Shuttles don't always wait for their connecting regional. 494 specifically almost never does, 476 doesn't always. Connecting passengers are reaccommodated on 148 and 494 respectively.
 #1277954  by theozno

R30A wrote:Shuttles don't always wait for their connecting regional. 494 specifically almost never does, 476 doesn't always. Connecting passengers are reaccommodated on 148 and 494 respectively.
a lot of times too 194 will be run as a different train From DC or NYP to keep the time gap. Seeming my GF lives in Meriden and Im in the Stamford area see it a lot. now if only 479 would connect to metro north like it always did, so many us literally 1/2 of the train continuing south don't get stuck in New Haven for an hour that would be nice. I have watched 1595 leaving track 14 as I am running like hell to grab it, Ive seen the tail lights sometimes and sometimes if I'm lucky I make it...
 #1277992  by TomNelligan

shadyjay wrote: So the solution may be to create more 140-series WAS (or even NYP) to SPG (or BOS) trains operating over the Springfield Line. These would be through trains (like the present day duo) that would not require changing trains at NHV and would have cafe service.

...That's how it SHOULD work. But it won't. At least not yet.
Because, among other things like funding and equipment, it would be extremely difficult for Amtrak to add trains in congested Metro North territory these days, especially during MN's ongoing track/bridge/catenary replacement project that closes sections of track and further reduces capacity.
 #1278065  by Lincoln78

The CT river bridge in Windsor Locks-East Windsor looks like is being prepared for two-track operation. There is parking that appears legal on the East Windsor side that provides a decent view of the bridge (I didn't trespass). I cannot recall if it looked that way in the fall.

They will need to change the track setup. The active track is the south side of the bridge (east when you consider general orientation of the route) but the second track being built towards Enfield (which looked finished in the fall) is also on the east side. Today there was a work truck parked at the end of the north track over the bridge, they have laid gravel on the active track to make a temporary crossing.
 #1278112  by runningwithscalpels

theozno wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:Why discontinue the shuttles? Make the shuttles a limited stop alternative to the commuter rail. People will usually pay more to get their faster
you mention that. a good example of this right now is 479. It just misses 1595 and there must be 20 of us from that train stuck until 1597 leaves 1 hour later from that shuttle while the others another 20 or so take 179 to NY but like hell If I'm paying $50 to go to Stamford so I sit and wait. I have mentioned this to both Amtrak and MNRR in customer service suggestions. thats all I can do.
Metro North is NOT obligated to connect to Amtrak services, so why are you even wasting your breath?
 #1278114  by runningwithscalpels

I went to CDOT's meeting in Meriden on Wednesday, and they're supposed to be piloting wayside horns at one of the grade crossings in Meriden later in the summer. (I forget which at the top of my head.) With the actual improvements being put into place for NHHS they're going to put them at several grade crossings to mitigate "noise pollution" from the horn at the crossing (LOL).

(For people who don't know - because I had never heard of this nonsense until Wednesday: Wayside horns blow and direct the sound at both directions of traffic at the grade crossing. Although if the wayside horns aren't working [there'll be a signal on the crossing and the whistle post to indicate to the engineer if it's functioning properly] or if there's an obstruction/people in the crossing, they still have free reign to blow the horn on the locomotive if they see fit)

I suppose it's better than quiet zones, but somehow it still seems less than effective.
 #1278116  by MattW

runningwithscalpels wrote:
theozno wrote:
Metro North is NOT obligated to connect to Amtrak services, so why are you even wasting your breath?
Because a good connection from Amtrak to Metro North might just increase ridership for Metro North possibly without increasing costs. Now, I know that scheduling trains isn't as simple as making train A run at any arbitrary time, especially when you consider the network effects of two railroads, one of which has three lines, with one of those lines having three branches. But, it should be at least considered and if it has been, a canned response of "we have considered this, but due to operational constraints blah blah blah" would be better than no reply at all.
 #1278120  by John_Perkowski

MattW wrote: But, it should be at least considered and if it has been, a canned response of "we have considered this, but due to operational constraints blah blah blah" would be better than no reply at all.
You really want the old Pennsylvania Railroad "Bedbug Letter"?

REALLY?
 #1278122  by runningwithscalpels

When NHHS goes into service, one of their selling points is connections with Metro-North. Hold your breath til late 2016.

Right now, what incentive does Amtrak have to facilitate an easy connection to another railroad for your convenience? If you come in on 479, they want you to continue your trip on 179, not walk over a few platforms and get on a Metro North train. Obviously Metro-North has more incentive, however, quite frankly they still have enough on their plates, especially with commuters complaining when a train is 5 minutes late. Imagine holding a New Haven departure because another railroad's train with maybe a car full of people is 10 minutes late. If I were on that MN train, I'd be annoyed, and that train is effed from the start.
 #1278125  by gprimr1

Will the CDOT trains have restrooms? Another potential selling point.

I think Amtrak is missing a potential to run some shuttles stopping only at Harford and Springfield. One thing I learned from my recent trip to Japan is just how nice an express can be.
 #1278129  by Greg Moore

John_Perkowski wrote:
MattW wrote: But, it should be at least considered and if it has been, a canned response of "we have considered this, but due to operational constraints blah blah blah" would be better than no reply at all.
You really want the old Pennsylvania Railroad "Bedbug Letter"?

REALLY?
I thought it was Pullman, but to a certain extent, yes. Customers inevitably want to feel like they're important and their concerns are real. (and even, want that to actually be true ;-)
 #1278134  by runningwithscalpels

gprimr1 wrote:Will the CDOT trains have restrooms? Another potential selling point.

I think Amtrak is missing a potential to run some shuttles stopping only at Harford and Springfield. One thing I learned from my recent trip to Japan is just how nice an express can be.
Good question.

Quite honestly when I rode SLE when I lived in Branford, the ride was too short to need to bother with a bathroom, and when they run the SLE equipment on Waterbury I'm never paying attention to see if there's a bathroom. (Since allegedly NHHS equipment will be Mafersa coaches.)