Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1243525  by Cannonball

MassLive.com has a long article:
Increased Boston-to-Springfield passenger rail service may one day become a reality
---
As recently as 1960 the New York Central Railroad operated the New England States train five times daily along a track that's known as the Inland Route. The Inland Route runs between Boston and Albany, making stops in Newtonville, Framingham, Worcester, Palmer, Springfield and Pittsfield. The New England States eventually continued on to Chicago....
---
Today, Amtrak runs the lone daily train, the Lake Shore Limited, from Boston to Chicago with four Massachusetts stops: Framingham, Worcester, Springfield and Pittsfield.
---
The scarcity of rail service between Boston and Springfield is an issue that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation has acknowledged in recent years...
---
...For travelers coming from Boston, the quality of the track declines west of Worcester, moving from two generally straight rails to one curvy rail that lacks spaces for slower trains to pull off to allow faster trains to pass. The MassDOT plan, known as "The Way Forward - A 21st Century Transportation Plan,"  calls for the installation of a second set of rails, an improvement of the signals along the route, a widening of several bridges, new passenger train equipment and constructing or renovation of stations.
---
MassDOT's plan for improving the state's infrastructure is, alas, just a plan until it completes its journey through a two-part legislative sausage making process on Beacon Hill. The plan is divided into two parts: financing and bonding.
---
Train Riders Northeast Chairman Wayne Davis welcomed the planned improvements because the current route, he says, is "a joke." In order for the route to appeal to daily users, Davis said it needs to travel at least 79 mph -- otherwise, it isn't worth it.
---
As passenger rail travel continues to grow in popularity nationwide and, in particular, the northeast, Bostonians looking to take a train west to Springfield will have to continue to rely on the once daily Lake Shore Limited for some time. It will be years before daily passenger rail service between Boston and Springfield takes off again on a regular basis.
---
A public meeting on the future of the project is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 23 [2014] at 7 p.m. at the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, at 60 Congress St. in Springfield.
 #1243539  by TomNelligan

That first paragraph is obviously somewhat shaky historically... the New England States represented just one of the daily round trips on the B&A, the term "Inland Route" was unknown in NYC days since it didn't come into use until the 1970s, and it refers to Boston-Springfield-Hartford-New Haven-New York service, not the B&A all the way to Albany.
 #1243585  by Dick H

The final decision on this will not be made in Boston, MA.
It will be made in Jacksonville FL. (CSX HQ)
 #1243651  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Dick H wrote:The final decision on this will not be made in Boston, MA.

CSX: "Pappy's getting a state-of-the art West Springfield Yard makeover!"

Beyond the requisite double-tracking, just follow the money and the company's top intermodal priorities for the answer. CSX isn't an unreasonable beast to deal with if you speak to what matters to them and are prepared to pay up accordingly. Took Massachusetts a long time to figure that out, but eventually they did to mutual benefit on that Worcester Line/Beacon Park deal-making blitz.
 #1243872  by Backshophoss

The trick now is how to get CSX to co-operate between Springfield-Worcester after the Vermonter returns to the
PAR's Conn River route. :wink:
 #1243945  by Rockingham Racer

Dick H wrote:The final decision on this will not be made in Boston, MA.
You're absolutely correct. But I do think that if they get a nicely upgraded 40 miles of 2 MT to run their traffic on, they won't balk very much. In other words, CSX stands to gain alot by the double track project.
 #1243954  by F-line to Dudley via Park

That and a speed increase on the mostly tangent Springfield-Palmer stretch, and probably also in MBTA territory. That makes a difference too being able to do 60 MPH instead of 40 on the parts outside the curvy Worcester Hills, and on the Worcester-Westborough-Framingham shuffle.

I still think the clincher for them is going to be the state pouring more $$$ into West Springfield Yard to get them a facility that's Worcester's equal on state-of-art frills. And maybe netting a sell-high package for their 3 Worcester County abandoned lines (South Sudbury Secondary, Holliston Secondary south of CP Yard, Saxonville Branch) that are all subject to rail trail proposals, and barter of their remaining Eastern MA branchlines (Framingham Secondary, Fitchburg Secondary, Milford Branch) for state-paid track upkeep off those less-critical lines in exchange for the MBTA securing some deep long-term commuter rail holds.

They've got a lot of leverage to secure a much-miniaturized version of the $100M package they closed a few years ago for the Worcester Line, Beacon Park relocation, and the South Coast lines. Just follow their core intermodal priorities and remember that Jacksonville will do anything if they can max out a sell-high opportunity and there is a path for a happy marriage on the Inland Route. But it'll take a sell-high package and laser-like focus on boosting their intermodal. CSX's lizard-brain profit motivation is very very predictable on this front, and they are not swayed whatsoever by fluff that isn't dead on-point with their priorities. The only states that seem to have a problem with this and perpetually butt heads with them are the ones who think they're owed assets or access from the company for less than top dollar, or think they can be swayed with odds-and-sods that aren't laser-focused on maximizing their intermodal ROI. Massachusetts thankfully has gotten over that tendency and found themselves a very productive working relationship with the company knowing what makes them tick. It's costly, but it works for ultimately getting everyone what they want.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediately preceding nesting quote for indexing purposes
 #1248518  by trainhq

Well, there's another problem with rail service to Springfield, called the MassPike. Buses
from Springfield can go 70 mph straight to Boston, and trains can't. And, they both go to the same location in Boston, namely South Station. This is very different from the Worcester situation, where the roads don't connect as directly, and the tracks are pretty
straight. Consequently, I think there will be a lot of push back from both politicians and
bus companies about spending more $$$$ on Boston-Springfield passenger rail; as in, is it really worth it? I think people will find this a harder sell than they thought at first.
 #1248525  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Have you ever been in a Boston-Springfield or Boston-Hartford bus during a Friday afternoon rush hour on the Pike?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediately preceding nesting quote for indexing purposes
 #1248527  by Greg Moore

Yeah, they can go 65MPH (the speed limit in MA, and we know of course no bus driver would violate the law ":-) up until they hit I-84. Then all bets are off. Or until they hit the I-95 exchange. Or closer to Boston.

In addition, trains can stop at Back Bay, which is convenient for many.

Finally, not all riders will be going all the way to Boston. Some might (though for reasons I'm not sure about :-) might decide to alight in Worcester.
 #1248532  by MattW

I don't know, looking at Greyhound, the fastest schedule SPG-BOS is 1:30, but at night. Most of the buses during the day are in the 1:55-2:20 range. The LSL is currently scheduled for 2:15 BOS-SPG (3:17 inbound) so it seems to me that rail would be time-competitive with bus. It would be interesting to see OTP stats for the buses especially the ones that run during the rush hour.
 #1248566  by Greg Moore

The other reason that slows buses down too is they have to get on and off the Pike at intermediate destinations (assuming they're not non-stop expresses). The train doesn't have to (also can't ;-) get off its route that pretty much already runs through towns and cities.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediately preceding nesting quote for indexing purposes
 #1248577  by Rockingham Racer

Who says it's all about Boston-Springfield? How about other city pairs like Worcester-Stamford, or [in a perfect world] Boston-Brattleboro?
 #1248586  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Greg Moore wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
trainhq wrote:Well, there's another problem with rail service to Springfield, called the MassPike. Buses
from Springfield can go 70 mph straight to Boston, and trains can't. And, they both go to the same location in Boston, namely South Station. This is very different from the Worcester situation, where the roads don't connect as directly, and the tracks are pretty
straight. Consequently, I think there will be a lot of push back from both politicians and
bus companies about spending more $$$$ on Boston-Springfield passenger rail; as in, is it really worth it? I think people will find this a harder sell than they thought at first.
Have you ever been in a Boston-Springfield or Boston-Hartford bus during a Friday afternoon rush hour on the Pike?
Yeah, they can go 65MPH (the speed limit in MA, and we know of course no bus driver would violate the law ":-) up until they hit I-84. Then all bets are off. Or until they hit the I-95 exchange. Or closer to Boston.

In addition, trains can stop at Back Bay, which is convenient for many.

Finally, not all riders will be going all the way to Boston. Some might (though for reasons I'm not sure about :-) might decide to alight in Worcester.
I used to do this same Fri. afternoon slog Boston-Hartford on Peter Pan back when I was a poor car-less college student. And that's exactly how I'd describe it: all bets are off. The stopover in Worcester usually wasn't too bad, but it was a crapshoot whether the driver had to get off straight onto I-290 or take the backroads from Route 122 to avoid the traffic (this was before 290 got rebuilt in downtown). Sometimes the I-495 exit would lock up if there was an accident...but most of the time 84 was where it came to a screeching halt. Or the approach to the mangled I-291 interchange in Springfield when it was an L-shaped routing instead of a Hartford direct. Then of course if the timing was off even a hair 84 in East Hartford could be jammed over the bridge requiring yet another detour through the Founders Bridge and city streets.

I usually told my ride home to arrive at the bus station 15 minutes after the scheduled arrival, because I had no idea when I departed whether we'd be 10 minutes early or an hour late. It was that variable, so I made them split the difference on the pickup.

And then on the return trip Sun., if you happen to be going during that magic 6:00-8:00pm time frame when everyone's returning home from the weekend...the tolls coming off 84 sometimes jam 2 miles deep into Sturbridge and the Pike eastbound crawls all the way to 290. Half the time the bus would have to bail at the Sturbridge Village exit, make its way over to Route 20, and go that way to get back on in Auburn.

I agree that any other time except Fri. rush and Sun. night it's a pretty quick trip, but there were some days checking the traffic reports before I left for South Station...where I knew I was going to be in for a long one...where I really wished the then still-running Inlands had any sort of schedule match whatsoever with when I needed to leave because I'd happily pay the premium to have some sort of certainty on when I'd arrive at Hartford Union. There is DEFINITELY a market for this. Especially at 79 MPH in MBTA territory and the tangent Palmer-Springfield stretch. Because I'm not even sure the open-road tolling MassHighway is set to implement is going to do enough for 84, because most of the time it's not even the toll queues backing up 3/4 mile onto the Pike that does it but the hundred big rigs per hour that have to slow to 15 MPH to take the sharp curves on that ramp. And there's no hope for Springfield until the 291 ramps are nuked off the face of the earth and get a total do-over.

Basic, eminently doable Class 4 speeds on either side of the Worcester hills (then grin and bear it in the middle) and on the Springfield Line with the freight congestion solved by DT and crossovers is all it really needs to close the travel time gap with the buses so the inherent comfort advantages of the trains makes it a very competitive mode for all but the lowest-budget riders. I'm not expecting funding to make good on Class 5 on either line this route travels, but it really doesn't have to cost that much to get the entirety of the non-Worcester Hills part of the route up to acceptable speed and reliability. Couple with decent departure times and it pretty much is the mid- and premium-tier preferred mode because of the much better OTP and schedule certainty it can achieve vs. the Pike buses, regardless of whether the Pike buses are faster most days. If you're hitching a ride home to Hartford Union or getting off at Bradley to catch a flight...you can't have that hour's variance on a Fri. evening bus, a holiday getaway day, or any old day when an ill-placed accident hoses everything. At it's worst the train's only going to get that seriously borked a couple times a month vs. several times a week for the bus. Knowing what schedule you're buying for that ticket is a big, big thing that people on this L-shaped corridor crave.

(And, yes, the market for interior Southern New England intercity has grown leaps and bounds over the last 10-15 years and has a pent-up demand the previous crippled Inland implementation really didn't have.)
 #1248589  by Woody

Cannonball wrote:MassLive.com has a long article:
Increased Boston-to-Springfield passenger rail service may one day become a reality
---
Today, Amtrak runs the lone daily train, the Lake Shore Limited, from Boston to Chicago with four Massachusetts stops: Framingham, Worcester, Springfield and Pittsfield.

For travelers coming from Boston, the quality of the track declines west of Worcester, moving from two generally straight rails to one curvy rail that lacks spaces for slower trains to pull off to allow faster trains to pass. The MassDOT plan, known as "The Way Forward - A 21st Century Transportation Plan,"  calls for the installation of a second set of rails, an improvement of the signals along the route, a widening of several bridges, new passenger train equipment and constructing or renovation of stations.
Train Riders Northeast Chairman Wayne Davis...said it needs to travel at least 79 mph--otherwise, it isn't worth it.
boston.com
TOP 10 STATIONS WHERE IT’S FASTER TO DRIVE
INTO BOSTON THAN TAKING THE TRAIN

1. Worcester/Union Station
Line: Worcester/Framingham

Station: South Station
Train: 96 minutes
Car: 64 minutes
Differential: 32 minutes
The Lake Shore Limited Schedule shows 2 hours 13 minutes
Worcester-Boston, and only 1:07 hours from Boston-Worcester,
but the driving time is still faster than that!

Plenty of padding in there. Now that Massachusetts controls
the commuter route, perhaps its planned upgrades can get
some time out of the current runs for its trains, and Amtrak's.

But 2:13 hours for the LSL Worcester-Boston, that's 44 miles,
does not much raise my hopes for good times Springfield-Boston,
currently 6:10 hours over 98 miles (while Boston-Springfield
is 2:15.)

In fairness, Springfield-Worcester-Boston trains suffer from
congestion Buffalo-Albany, a route with notoriously terrible OTP.
(Gov Cuomo, are you listening? No?)

The half-full glass: there's PLENTY of room for improvement!