Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1458096  by Jeff Smith

I also set up a topic in CSX, and wouldn't be opposed to one in New England. Feel free. This post was specific to the service at hand that we've been talking about (CSX Springfield to Worcester).
gokeefe wrote:Yeah no kidding ... I'm curious if this is the right topic ... Perhaps it should be a separate discussion as "Potential Sale of ex-B&A" in the New England forum especially given the implications for passenger operations beyond Amtrak and the affected freight only branch lines.

Even if it stays in this forum I would imagine a separate topic is in order (same proposed title) given the understandably lengthy discussion that seems likely to ensue.
 #1458335  by asull85

MassDOT wants CP45 to CP98 in the worst way. They've even mentioned acquiring upto CP150. This may be their opportunity to pick it up. However, I don't realistically see CSX giving it up cheap given their competition with Pan Am/NS.
 #1458410  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote:Believe it would be a "toss up" between IP's Mass Central and the Grafton & Upton as best freight operator playing along with MBTA.
Figure on NS finally pulling the "trigger" on PAS takeover from PAR.
My money is on a G&W property, whether NECR, P&W, or a new railroad company.
 #1458411  by asull85

mtuandrew wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Believe it would be a "toss up" between IP's Mass Central and the Grafton & Upton as best freight operator playing along with MBTA.
Figure on NS finally pulling the "trigger" on PAS takeover from PAR.
My money is on a G&W property, whether NECR, P&W, or a new railroad company.
It's my understanding that G&W was told in no uncertain terms by the STB that they can't have anymore pieces to the pie in New England after acquiring the P&W. G&W overextended themselves on the RailAmerica and P&W deals.
 #1458500  by David Benton

Rockingham Racer wrote:
David Benton wrote:A map would be great , for those of us not familiar with the area.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/portals/ ... rogram.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll to page 10, and there you have it.
Thanks !
 #1458584  by gokeefe

asull85 wrote:It's my understanding that G&W was told in no uncertain terms by the STB that they can't have anymore pieces to the pie in New England after acquiring the P&W. G&W overextended themselves on the RailAmerica and P&W deals.
That is a very interesting piece of information. Thank you.
 #1458592  by Ridgefielder

Just throwing it out there, but: don't rule out private equity as an acquirer. I could easily see a company like Fortress getting involved, particularly if there's the possibility of a public-private partnership providing $$ for passenger-focused improvements.

Hey, who knows-- maybe the successor to CSX on the B&A will be "The Boston & Albany RR, LLC!" :wink:
 #1458596  by mtuandrew

Ridgefielder wrote:Just throwing it out there, but: don't rule out private equity as an acquirer. I could easily see a company like Fortress getting involved, particularly if there's the possibility of a public-private partnership providing $$ for passenger-focused improvements.

Hey, who knows-- maybe the successor to CSX on the B&A will be "The Boston & Albany RR, LLC!" :wink:
If that’s so, I expect that title to eventually be appended “...a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Delaware & Hudson Co., an American subsidiary of Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd.” :P

(Or “a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern Corporation” :wink: )