Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1447388  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

hazmatmess wrote:Here's my son's reaction from Saturday after he read what train was on the board. Excited??? :)
Cute pictures, he looks very excited and imagine he surely had a good time. Brings memories of when my boy was that age!

Believe we saw you and him in the boarding line. Did not know it was you / your son at the time but on seeing him I did tell my wife the story, having seen your earlier post, that a father was going to surprise his young son with a ride.
 #1447407  by east point

HEP question. Leaving NY{ on the ACS-64 HEP but P-42 controls traction. Once switching to diesel after starting same does a rider in the ACS-64 have to cut off HEP and then diesel HEP engaged by Amtrak engineer. AS well who starts the trailing P-42 ?

Returning to NYP how is the reverse engaged ?
 #1447411  by Backshophoss

Most of the Amfleet have the MU trainline,so both P-42's were running,the trailing P-42 might have been isolated as was the lead unit while in NYP
untill Newark,then 642 was isolated,pan dropped,HEP switched over to Diesel power,a matter of turning off the HEP inverter on 642 and turning on
1 of the P-42's HEP inverter. From the youtube vids there was a rider or engine crew on the trailing P-42 from the horn use.
 #1447439  by MARKON

This had to be the Best Rail Fan experience in a long time (I am OLD)
- Amtrak "volunteers" manning coaches - Happy Amtrak Employees!!. Unique..
- Commentary during the trip - Great - Amtrak Matt - CUDOS
- I just can't fathom that this train could sideline CSX freights.. Guess this was organized before EHH.
- Loved the fact that they did a reverse move at Selkirk to allow peeps on one side to get the river view going down the other.
- Cafe car attendants (working 10+ hours) - congenial and informative.
- Got to eavesdrop on many conversations during the day - Rail Education at it's best
** If this could be organized again buy a private industry.. Could you not imagine the profit of 500+ peeps on a train going to nowhere?
 #1447453  by GirlOnTheTrain

Backshophoss wrote:From the youtube vids there was a rider or engine crew on the trailing P-42 from the horn use.
Saw 2 people hanging out on the trailing 145 when it came through Haverstraw on Saturday.
 #1447482  by ExCon90

MARKON wrote:- I just can't fathom that this train could sideline CSX freights.. Guess this was organized before EHH.
Some dispatchers "get it" that if a special movement is in the way, MOVE IT and get it off your territory so you can get back to business. Put a train in the hole and it will stay there; you'll still have to move it sometime. At the NRHS convention in 2000 (Stamford) we had a nonstop return from Groton to Stamford--and this on a day when the Tall Ships were in New London and SLE was running extras. I called a friend of mine at Amtrak the next day to compliment him on the run that they (and Metro North) gave us, and he said, "Of course they did! They wanted to get you off the !@#$%^&*() railroad!"
 #1447489  by StLouSteve

I rode Sunday and had a great time. (Wore my NY Central railfan cap)

If third rail is still in Hudson tubes, they could have used a dual mode instead of dragging an electric along for the day, but duals appear to be in short supply.

My only gripe is I couldn't get a veggie box lunch, but I came prepared and there were two cafe cars stocked with regular items for sale so all was good.

Fun to meet some fellow fans from the boards.
 #1447496  by Zuccaraillo

The third rail in the Hudson tubes ends right at the west portal so it would probably be difficult for the P32 to finish the mode change right as it exits the tunnel.
 #1447510  by hazmatmess

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:From the youtube vids there was a rider or engine crew on the trailing P-42 from the horn use.
Saw 2 people hanging out on the trailing 145 when it came through Haverstraw on Saturday.
They were in there on Sunday too. Very horn happy which was cool. Those air reserves must have been working overtime all weekend.
 #1447512  by hazmatmess

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Cute pictures, he looks very excited and imagine he surely had a good time. Brings memories of when my boy was that age!

Believe we saw you and him in the boarding line. Did not know it was you / your son at the time but on seeing him I did tell my wife the story, having seen your earlier post, that a father was going to surprise his young son with a ride.
Thanks. You probably did see us. We, well more me, stand out like a sore thumb.
 #1447515  by kitn1mcc

The ACS64 provided all the HEP in and out of the tunnels and under the wire.
When they went to Diesel the ACS just acted like pass thru.

I would imagine they had both diesels HEP that was a lot of train