Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1447168  by brettj22

hazmatmess wrote:
brettj22 wrote:What side do you need to sit on to be on the river side northbound? Are there the business class seats in the cafes and are they open?
At NY Penn Station, you would want to sit on the platform side (right side) of the train.
Right side when facing towards NJ?
 #1447171  by CentralValleyRail

ryanov wrote:Something I forgot to mention — yes, it’s sold out, but they don’t count seats that have an obstructed view, I don’t think, and they don’t count the cafe seats I don’t think (which is where I’ve sat the whole time on the last two trips). In any case, there is plenty of room to move around.

The logistics guy was saying it’s two Keystone sets, minus one of the cab cars, and two cafes and 9800.
There was at least 6 seats available this morning on Amtrak.com
 #1447182  by hazmatmess

Going through Yonkers now. Was a great ride. Too bad it wasn't two weeks later and there would be more color in the leaves. Staff was amazing and the scenery definitely was better than last year. Well done Amtrak and CSX!
 #1447195  by shadyjay

Rode the train today and enjoyed it immensely. For some reason, I don't recall going over the huge drawbridge after leaving the NEC - perhaps it was the one that had the right-side view blocked because of an adjacent freight. Wasn't expecting the cloudy/drizzly/foggy start to do the day, but it cleared up nicely. It was weird to be on a CSX line and have the right of way (for the most part, we crawled/stopped briefly for one SB freight, the rest were already in the hole for us). I guess in reality the train could have operated without the need to reverse direction at Selkirk, as there was a NB West Shore to EB Boston Line/Smith Bridge connector. But the backup move did permit fairness with splitting up the river viewing for all passengers.

Leading along the West Shore was 156, with the 11-car consist, then #642 and the #145. Was #145 on when leaving NYP or was it added at Newark? Likewise on the SB move into Penn, was 145 removed from the head end at CP Empire? If not, then can the shut-down P42 control an electric? I didn't make it up to the head of the consist before we left NYP, and I was sitting on the wrong side to see if the #145 had been stashed on the wye at CP Empire.

Great job by all those who were part of the trip and who made it happen!
 #1447197  by Noel Weaver

Thanks to you and all the other interesting reports about this great trip. If I was still livong in the northeast you can bet I would have been with you all to bring back lots of wonderful memories.
Noel Weaver
 #1447198  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

I thought they'd just take a right at CP-SK on the east leg of the wye to traverse the Castleton Sub via the Castleton Bridge and CP-SM.
As for the locomotives, everything was together for the entire trip. I would assume that the 642 was only used between NYP & NWK outbound and then from Empire interlocking into NYP. The 642 was used because they didn't want to waste a dual mode P32.
 #1447212  by hazmatmess

brettj22 wrote:Right side when facing towards NJ?
When the train leave NY Penn, if you are facing the front of the train NJ bound, it would be the left side of the train. If you are facing the rear, it would be the train's right. Sit on the platform side of the train if you want to be on the river side while on the River Sub. Hope it makes sense. The car we were on had the seats changing direction halfway through the car. Enjoy the trip. :)
 #1447221  by alewifebp

I barely made it on time due to a no show on my bus in to NYC. Had to drive in and park right by the terminal. Made it on the train with just a few minutes before departure. Had the preferable right side seat. Overall a very smooth and enjoyable trip kept on time.

One thing that was a little confusing was when we arrived in NYP. From what we were hearing, it seemed as though we would be leaving the track we slotted on and reversing back to get back to track 10 that we originally departed on. We ended up waiting on 9 or 11 while an NJT train was departing from 10, moved slightly down the same track we were on and then allowed to exit.