• What is business class?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Morning Zephyr

Apparently Amtrak is now assigning seats in whatever they pass off as "business class" in the NEC, which in reality is just a glorified coach. I was just assigned seat 2A for a trip in "business class" from NYC to Charlottesville. Considering that Amfleet cars have some seats next to a solid wall (no window) as well as many seats that just have a small bit of a small window, I am worried I am going to be stuck without much of a view. Are there any standards, or car diagrams, that show how these seats are situated relative to windows?
  by Tadman

Here are some half-decent seat diagrams, they don't have numbers, however. http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Also if you can change via the 1800 number, I would consider it. 2 is likely to be at the very end and it's best to sit in the middle for ride quality. It's not as bad an single-level cars where the bathrooms and luggage take up the ends of the cars, but in a superliner where seats/beds go right up to the bulkhead, the quality of ride in the center is noticeably better than outboard of the trucks.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Tadman wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 amHere are some half-decent seat diagrams, they don't have numbers, however. http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html
Isn't Amfleet II similar to Amfleet I business class (81500 series)?
  by Tadman

Out of my depth. I've only been on LD Amfleet business class a few times. I seem to remember an A1 as business class on Crescent. I was aboard WAS-NOL one year after thanksgiving and had to ride business class to somewhere in Virginia because someone short-hauled sleeper for a day trip.
  by gokeefe

If you don't like the one you have just ask to switch seats after the conductor lifts your e-ticket. I doubt they will be sold out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by daybeers

Morning Zephyr wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 am Apparently Amtrak is now assigning seats in whatever they pass off as "business class" in the NEC, which in reality is just a glorified coach. I was just assigned seat 2A for a trip in "business class" from NYC to Charlottesville. Considering that Amfleet cars have some seats next to a solid wall (no window) as well as many seats that just have a small bit of a small window, I am worried I am going to be stuck without much of a view. Are there any standards, or car diagrams, that show how these seats are situated relative to windows?
Tadman wrote:Here are some half-decent seat diagrams, they don't have numbers, however. http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Also if you can change via the 1800 number, I would consider it. 2 is likely to be at the very end and it's best to sit in the middle for ride quality. It's not as bad an single-level cars where the bathrooms and luggage take up the ends of the cars, but in a superliner where seats/beds go right up to the bulkhead, the quality of ride in the center is noticeably better than outboard of the trucks.
I would agree to calling the 1-800 number to make sure you have a window. The Guest Rewards number often has much better service if you are enrolled: 1-800-307-5000.

The Amfleets have been better maintained in recent months IMO with a new wheel profile that is much smoother. They're also much shorter and lighter than the Superliners or Viewliners so but it's always a better idea to be in the middle for noise/air disturbances from the end doors.