Railroad Forums 

• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1537883  by RRspatch

SouthernRailway wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 am I'm considering Amtrak this weekend for a long-distance trip, on the Crescent. I would expect flying to be safe (due to few passengers), but I think that a Viewliner room with the door closed would be safer. However, I'm concerned about coronavirus on surfaces, particular beds and pillows.

Is Amtrak cleaning its sleeping cars more thoroughly now--e.g., disinfecting rooms between trips? How is bedding washed? And is Amtrak changing anything during trips now (e.g., is it eliminating any on-board services)?

Thanks.
Bring a small to medium tube of Clorox Disinfectant Wipes. The CDC has listed this product as one that kills COVID-19. I keep a Costco sized tube in my car to wipe my hands down if I have to go out. Not sure how good this is for my skin but it's LOT better than getting COVID-19. Whether or not you want to bring an N95 mask is up to you.
 #1537900  by quad50cal

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm Off topic:

I have just learned, from NPR, the Coronavirus stimulus legislation (now passed both Houses, enroute to the President) is formally titled Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act of 2020, or CARES20.

Addendum: signed
Not off-topic at all. The bill has a sizeable bailout for passenger rail on better terms than the airlines.
$25 billion for Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grants transit grantees for operating and capital expenses. Funding will be distributed using existing FTA formulas.
$1.018 billion for Amtrak operating assistance to cover revenue losses related to coronavirus. In addition, funding will be provided for states to pay their contribution for state supported routes.
 #1537917  by Train60

Photo caption from news story linked below -- "Members of the 1207th Rhode Island National Guard unit stand at the Westerly, R.I., Amtrak station Friday to inform passengers from New York of the 14-day quarantine restrictions if disembarking in Rhode Island ordered by Gov. Gina Raimondo. At the time of the photo, no passengers had disembarked at the station."

https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc-nw ... story.html
 #1537920  by Patrick Boylan

Haven't the New York passengers already broken quarantine if there were any other passengers in their car from other places?
And passengers from places beyond New York should be considered New York passengers unless no one from New York got into their car, which is pretty difficult to do if the crew changed in New York City.
 #1537931  by Gilbert B Norman

Regarding Mr. Train 60's (which train? PRR #60, Pittsburgher, or Amtrak #60, Montrealer) report, here is more local coverage, including additional photos:

Westerly (RI) Sun

Fair Use:
WESTERLY — SNIP

National Guardsmen and Westerly police officers will also be stationed at the Westerly Train Station and speak to travelers coming from the south to inform them of the self-quarantine order. Efforts to inform pilots using Westerly State Airport are more difficult because there is no set flight schedule and the facility is not staffed around the clock, Lacey said.
Be it sure, some Civil Liberties advocates will challenge this action, as well as others reported here.
 #1537961  by gokeefe

quad50cal wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 amNot off-topic at all. The bill has a sizeable bailout for passenger rail on better terms than the airlines.
$25 billion for Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grants transit grantees for operating and capital expenses. Funding will be distributed using existing FTA formulas.
$1.018 billion for Amtrak operating assistance to cover revenue losses related to coronavirus. In addition, funding will be provided for states to pay their contribution for state supported routes.
I was pleased to see that Amtrak was able to secure funding. While we might all assume it was a "given" I don't consider that to be true especially with regards to the relief for state funded routes. Job well done by everyone at 1 Mass. Ave.
 #1538014  by knope2001

Looks like the California Zephyr is the first LD casualty of Covid 19.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-ad ... virus.html

The advisory states no service between Denver and Reno. However when I've checked a few random dates over the next two weeks I find CHI-DEN available for purchase but RNO-EMY saying "cancelled".

Obviously just a single anecdote but the story below states an Amtrak employee in Glenwood Springs said only two people were onboard a Zephyr earlier this month.

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/corona ... e129d.html

Would really love to know if LD really are running that excessively empty, and what/where we may see other cuts.
 #1538029  by lordsigma12345

It’s sounding like this is due to a crew member testing positive at the Salt Lake City crew base and the required 14 day quarantined required from all other crew members that made contact with the individual. It doesn’t sound likely this was due to ridership. They don’t have anyone to operate the segment.
 #1538075  by Jeff Smith

https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-ad ... virus.html

Service Adjustments Due to Coronavirus
March 29, 2020, 12:30 pm ET
While Amtrak continues to operate across the nation, we have adjusted some services due to significantly reduced demand in key markets. The most up-to-date schedules are available when booking your trip on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app.

Service Modifications

Operating on a reduced schedule

Northeast Corridor (Boston – New York – Washington, DC – Virginia)
Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany
Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, CT – Springfield, MA)
Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
California Zephyr (Chicago- Emeryville, CA): No service between Reno and Denver
Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle
Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, ME)
Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, VT): No service north of Albany
Hiawatha (Chicago – Milwaukee)
Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg Chicago – Quincy)
Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY
Missouri River Runner (St. Louis – Kansas City) starting March 30
Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego)
Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh)
San Joaquins (Bakersfield – Oakland and Sacramento)
Valley Flyer (New Haven, CT – Greenfield, MA)
Vermonter (Washington – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays.
Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac)

Suspended services

Acela (Boston – Washington, DC)
Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York)
Pennsylvanian trains (New York – Pittsburgh)
Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
Winter Park Express (Denver – Winter Park Resort)
 #1538177  by RRspatch

Over in the Amtrak Fan group at Facebook it was posted that an Amtrak OBS employee at the Salt Lake City crew base tested positive for COVID-19. Apparently everyone in that crew base is now on the 14 day isolation period which leaves no one to run the trains. I'm sure UP turned down a request for crews assuming Amtrak even asked. And of course that would only apply to T&E crews. With no one to man the rest of the trains functions Amtrak had no choice to suspend the train. For now the Denver Zephyr continues to run.

BTW - One thing I remember from my BNSF days handling very late Amtrak trains is that Amtrak's long haul crews bases are not very deep. More then once we had to send a BNSF crew out to drag an Amtrak train to the next crew base. I would look for more segments or perhaps entire routes to be suspended as the virus continues to spread.
 #1538189  by gokeefe

The thought came to mind this morning that given reduced traffic levels Amtrak might have an opportunity to perform deferred maintenance in some high traffic areas out in the open air.

Perhaps it's too early and in many cases track crews really can't socially distance. On the other hand signal crews might be able to work in relatively good hygiene conditions and there are far fewer trains running right now.

I appreciate the thoughts of those who have done this work and respect the fact that perhaps this point of view may be overly optimistic.
 #1538308  by RRspatch

Someone just posted a video to the Facebook "Amtrak Fans" page of the eastbound Capital Limited approaching DC. The train had 1 P42, 1 Sleeper, a dining car, 1 coach and 1 baggage coach. I assume since there was only one food service car that the coach passengers, all 10 to 15 of them, were allowed in the dining car again. Amtrak trains are starting to look like those short coach/sleeper/snack bar car trains of the late 60's.
 #1538358  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

5(1): 2 P-42, T-Dorm, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach-Bagg.

4(30): 2 P-42, DH Surfliner Coach, T-Dorm, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach, Bagg.
 #1538363  by gokeefe

RRspatch wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:51 pmAmtrak trains are starting to look like those short coach/sleeper/snack bar car trains of the late 60's.
At least they don't say "Penn Central" on the side. :-D