Railroad Forums 

• Winter Wear

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#85905  by CRail

Any suggestions for staying warm while railroading in the freezing cold "hot spots"? Shooting in new england in the winter months is COLD!

#86174  by MEC407

Pick up some of those little packets that get warm when you activate them. I can't remember what they're called, and I'm sure there's more than just one brand... but basically it's a plastic packet with some sort of chemical gel inside, and there's something else in there too... a little piece of metal or some other type of chemical... and when you bend it or break it, it makes a chemical reaction and the gel gets hot. They're really good for keeping your hands warm or keeping other things warm. For instance, it's difficult if not impossible to take photos or videos if you're wearing gloves or mittens. But if you've got one of those heat packets in your pocket, you can slip your hands in every now and then and get them warmed back up. They're also useful if your face starts to get painfully cold.

#86187  by Ken W2KB

Tripod and cable release can be usefull.

Best bet for clothing is to visit one or more of the many ski outfitter stores in New England and purchase a ski bib, etc. Riding a lift chair in windy, 10 degree below conditions is the norm in January at many northern NE ski areas, so what you need is in the ski shops. They also will have the warmers referred to in the other post and other things of interest.

#86204  by RailBus63

Invest in a good pair of boots. I have a pair that are waterproof and have Gore Tex lining, and my feet never get wet or cold even after a full day of railfanning in the snow.

JD

#89357  by Fred G

Polypropylene!!! or 'polypro'. I wear polypro longjohns and socks out in the bitter cold. Much more flexible for movement than cotton longjohns. You've gotten good advice about using those 'shake-em-up' packets that provide a couple of hours of warmth. Slip one of those into each of a pair of polypro glove liners and you've got warmth and a glove you can use to take photos. They're ultra thin and I can pick up a dime with them, let alone operate a camera.

I was out yesterday (1/18) in New Haven, Bridgeport and Norwalk, waiting for trains to photograph and felt comfortable enough to keep railfanning. I noticed it was 8º F in Bridgeport around 11 a.m.

#89620  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i dress in many layers when standing on the side of the NEC, i walk around to keep the blood flowing, i wear ski masks to cover my ears, etc. a jacket