Railroad Forums 

• Need advice: Camera purchase.

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#853070  by HBLR

So it seems i need a better camera than my iPhone has to offer if the things i see out and about on my travels are to be believed online. Any suggestions? I prefer to stay away from cannon or nikon, or anything with separate lenses, but i'll try to have an open mind.
 #853421  by MEC407

Is there any particular reason why you're not interested in Canon or Nikon? Just curious. There are plenty of other companies that make excellent cameras, so you still have plenty of options.

Also, how much money do you want to spend? Knowing what your budget is will make it a lot easier for us to give you some recommendations.
 #854782  by railfan365

HBLR wrote:So it seems i need a better camera than my iPhone has to offer if the things i see out and about on my travels are to be believed online. Any suggestions? I prefer to stay away from cannon or nikon, or anything with separate lenses, but i'll try to have an open mind.
May I ask why not something with interchangeable lenses? That would provide expnentially greater flexibility in shooting. For example, a telephoto lens would allow getting detailed, close-up shots from a distance, while a wide angle lens allow captuing a lot more of a scene without having to go far out.
 #860240  by Ken W2KB

Point and shoot cameras tend to have a delay in firing while DSLRs have an instant shutter release. Makes a major difference with a subject in motion. Plus a conventional DSLR viewfinder lets one hold the camera much more steady than many others where one has to hold and look at the display on the rear. With an interchangeable lens camera owning only one lens is not any different since the lens is never removed.
 #862233  by Cadguru

If you want something light and portable look at the micro 4/3rds lineup from Olympus, Panasonic, etc.

Sony has them too.

They are called ILC for interchangeable lens camera....

Nice alternatives