Railroad Forums 

• Blurry in the corners of pictures

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#674434  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

Everytime I take a picture and look at it in the preview it would have blurry spot around the edges. I tired to fix the settings but nothing works. It happened with my old mustek camera to. Now it is happening with this sony one I have here. I have another sony camera of the same type that has no problems.

look at the bus in the backround
http://www.philadelphiatransitvehicles. ... p-0-0.html

How can I fix this problem?
 #675593  by RailBus63

Are you familiar with the photographic concept of 'depth of field'? Click here for a good explanation if you are not. In a nutshell, depth of field is the part of an image that is acceptably sharp. This is controlled by focusing and also by the camera's aperture. The larger the f-stop number, the greater the depth of field will be in your images (assuming the camera is properly focused, of course). If your camera has an aperture-priority mode, set the aperture between f5.6 and f11 for daylight photos and your should see the depth of field improve.
 #675672  by pennsy

Correct. Adjust your depth of field by using larger f stop numbers, ie. a smaller aperture. You will have to use a slower shutter speed to compensate, or increase the speed of your film or the sensitivity of your digital camera. Good luck, and please show us your results.
 #675750  by Chessie GM50

I'd guess that he works off of a P&S. Usually, the Manuel mode lets you go as far as adjusting the white balance, and the ISO speed. The camera figures the f/stop, shutter speed, etc... so he might not be able to adjust the different settings.
 #675966  by RailBus63

That's why any serious rail photographer needs to move up to an SLR camera. My wife had her digital point & shoot before I bought my DSLR and I had the same experience - I played around with her camera and even got some decent photos, but the inability to control the aperture and shutter speed greatly limited my options. These days, you can pick up a good digital SLR starter camera for under $500. It's money well spent.
 #676028  by MEC407

There are some point-and-shoots that offer full manual controls; they tend to be a bit more expensive than the typical auto-only P&S cams, but still not as expensive as a DSLR. Just something to keep in mind for the budget-conscious folks.
 #676033  by pennsy

These days you can still use your film camera and get the prints you want, but you can also get a CD with your pictures on it as well. With that CD you can e mail photos anywhere, or print them out on your computer, etc. etc.