Railroad Forums 

• Any people have good enough photos for Railpictures.net

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#633123  by Montrealrail

Thank you Gilbert for that support
By a same way,Railpicture,help me on a certain sens,cause I learned to perform more skilling on my pics,by two pics accepted,By studying to it,I can find some way's to keep in mind,to do more good shots

Like there,I tooked 3 nices shots,But on my mind,it's not well,cause the first on,I get a bad cropping,but could make a good roster shot

and the second on is blurry,but not to bas

and that one is too dark
 #633633  by Chessie GM50

Photo #1: they don't usually approve roster shots, unless it's of something unique
Photo #2: Framing is good, but just use 1-2 stops faster of a shutter speed.
Photo #3: On my monitor which is properly calibrated, it dosn't look dark. I'm honestly surprised, that they didn't get you for having the train right in the middle of the picture.
 #633830  by EMTRailfan

Chessie GM50 wrote:Photo #1: they don't usually approve roster shots, unless it's of something unique
Photo #2: Framing is good, but just use 1-2 stops faster of a shutter speed.
Photo #3: On my monitor which is properly calibrated, it dosn't look dark. I'm honestly surprised, that they didn't get you for having the train right in the middle of the picture.
#1- I beg to differ. Roster shots just have to be near perfect in lighting, comp., etc. Looks like you were on the wrong side of the little bit of sun that was there.
#2- It looks like the sun is near directly side on...on conductor's side, when it should be over your shoulder for RP.net (normally). Place yourself between the sun and your subject. In this case, you move way right, and maybe closer, and shoot the train a little earlier like when the loco would have been the rear edge of the train is visible in your photo, thus having the nose and the conductor side in light. This angle would not only give you better light, but it would have also shown the rest of the train down the ROW.
3#- From looking at the shadows on the left, it looks like direct side on sun again. But, there is very little sun on the train. Is it in shadow of a building or hillside, etc. here? From the shadows on the ground at the right, it appears it may be another train, but from the shortness of the left side shadows, the sun should be high enough to get over it if it is another train. Nice catch of the conductor's wave though.
 #633989  by Finch

While we're talking about railpictures.net...I have thought of submitting a photo or three, but I have a question. What if I can't accurately identify the motive power in my photo? Or the train I.D. or the like. I'm not that great with locomotives and I wouldn't trust myself to know what model I'm looking at, unless I can find a photo of the same one also on railpictures.net. Would this be a problem?
 #634010  by MEC407

Don't worry about it. A lot of the stuff that is on there is incorrectly identified, and despite my regular attempts to correct the information, they never seem to follow up on it. I guess they're not too worried about it, so why should you be? :wink: I browse the site daily and usually submit 5-10 corrections a day, and when I check back a week or so later, the corrections have not been made.

Anyway, if you do want to at least try to accurately identify locomotives and the like, there are ways to accomplish this. One would be to look up the locomotive on a roster to find out what model it is. For example, let's say you saw MEC 312 roll by and didn't know what it was. Just find a Guilford roster on the web (there are several), find MEC 312, and you'll see that it's a GP40. Another way would be to use one of the many books that help you identify locomotives by their spotting features.

There was a time, long ago, when I wouldn't have known the difference between a GP38 and an GP40, but rosters and books help greatly.
 #641130  by MEC407

Yeah, the site is pretty overloaded with ads. I get around this by using the Firefox web browser, which has a built-in pop-up blocker, and a Firefox add-on called Flash Block which blocks those bloody obnoxious Flash-based banner ads that have video and sound. I'm sure that's not what the site's owners want to hear... but it is what it is. At least the banner ads here at RAILROAD.NET are small and don't use audio. Consequently, I've actually clicked on a few of them! Just goes to prove that small, non-obnoxious ads can be more effective than the ads that try to shove themselves down your throat.
 #661244  by C. J. Brooks

Trainman101 wrote:During the screening process, do screeners look at who uploaded the photo? Does the person who took the photo influence the decision to reject or accept? I feel like the odds are stacked against me because i just started to upload to them.
No - a newbie can upload a great photo and get a Screener's Choice right off the bat (which has happened numerous times), and veterans can still get "stupid" rejections. They do, however, have a new system in place that will lower the number of photos per day you can upload if you just "don't get it" and keep uploading shots with all the same flaws that they've pointed out time and time again - some think this is a terrible rule, but considering the screeners don't get paid for their services, I don't think it's a bad measure by any means. Just keep in mind that any rejections are constructive criticism - no one is saying they are the end-all for railroad photography, it's simply screening what they want on their site - you can very easily turn around and upload to RRpicturearchives, Flickr, or your own site - no one from Railpictures.net will try to stop you. Why people turn constructive criticism from a screener into "You suck at life, you should just sell your camera and never step foot out the door again!" is beyond me - the best I can come up with is they just want something to whine about (versus, say, going out and trying to improve their shots based on the screeners' suggestions). If a rejection is ever vague, you can always appeal the photo and (politely) ask for more information, or even better, post the photo on their forums - there are many accomplished photographers on there willing to help you out (and will likely respond rather quickly). What they do isn't so much an issue of ethics, as some claim, as it is merely personal tastes - meaning you can simply just not upload your photos there and go about your merry way. It's really a much simpler matter than some make it out to be - I personally enjoy the feedback from their site, as it is a good way to improve upon your photography in a relatively short span of time. If you are happy with your photography where it is now, then that's fine - no one's saying you have to take their rejection(s) to heart, and you can always upload elsewhere. Just give it a try and put any hostilities aside - you may be surprised that you actually enjoy what you get out of their site.
 #661321  by EMTRailfan

Trainman101 wrote:During the screening process, do screeners look at who uploaded the photo? Does the person who took the photo influence the decision to reject or accept? I feel like the odds are stacked against me because i just started to upload to them.
Actually yes they can. I'm a member of RP's forums, and a screener himself said that if John Doe continually uploads poor quality photos, they look at each submission more thorughly than they do to other contributers that have higher accepted photo rates. It's not actually the person they look at, but the quality of their upload history.
 #661804  by Montrealrail

I remembering the first time I saw rail-pictures I was thinking that was an upload only site,but after severals uploads,I realised that My pics where not in the library,when I asked some questions,they explained me that the screeners does'nt made only a control of what comming on their site,but they have some standards to respects..

than they reduced my upload limit to 2 pics a day,that does'nt change nothing for me,but sometime,when I see I get a prety good shot,I made a try,Now,I get 3 pics and 5 video in the database

like,this one was recently rejected for bad cropping ???

but they don't know all the time and every spots,that we can get some place we cannot go..

and while browsing the database,I seen some pic that was poorest than mine and few one of signals,or only a wagon or passenger car,right in the database..I know that's relating railways,but they don'T want anymore those kinds of pics
(sometime,I just don't understand them :-D ) for now,I get a fotoshop gallery,It's free and I can upload any kind of my pics I want,there a lot of good shot I made
http://pics-by-guy-pascal.fotopic.net/c1497257.html