Railroad Forums 

• Slide scanning

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#297456  by NS59

I'm currently scanning all my slides onto my computer and it is going well. However, My vertical shots do not fill up the entire width of the screen. How can I fill the entire screen with the photo without distorting it?

Thanks,

Dave

#297502  by keeper1616

I'm not sure if I understand the question. You want to be able to fill a space that is wider that the image you have without changing the height?

You have three options: stretch, crop or band

Stretch: you take each pixel and make it wider. This will distort the picture so it looks fatter and shorter.

Crop: Take enough off the top and bottom so it fits the screen. You will lose the top and/or bottom of the image.

Band: Make black bands on the side so it fits the screen, just that it will not be picture, but nothing.

Cropping is what movie producers do to make movies fit tv screens. Banding is what they used to do (like is ben-hur)

I hope this answers your question. If you need examples, let me know.

#298353  by NS59

That is in the ball park, What happened is I tipped the camera on its side to get a vertical as opposed to horizontil shot. The the slide was scanned it automatically made it reach from the top to the bottom of the screen, but I lost about 1/4 of the screen width on each side. If I understand you correctly there is not much I can do about this w/o greatly distorting the photo. If you have any other ideas, let me know. Thanks for the input.
Well I'm typing this i'm thinking how stupid, I'm going to try scanning the slide horizontally then flipping it in the computer, maybe that will work.

Dave