Railroad Forums 

• Disposition of ALCO # 6

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#746144  by ERIE 360

This one unit production run of the original S-5 "prototype" was built to test the 251 powerplant. Using what appears to be an RS-3 long hood and cab, ALCO produced nothing else like this. Where did it end up? Is it still with us today or did the company scrap it at the end of their existence?

Thanks in advance.
 #746394  by pablo

I thought I remember seeing that this unit became the plant switcher for a while at Schenectady, and was eventually scrapped.

Dave Becker
 #746443  by scottychaos

There is no record of anyone seeing it for the last 40 years or so..
and if it still existed, it would be so unique that everyone would know of its existance by now!
so I give it 99.99999% odds its scrapped..

I have seen a photo of it..somewhere on the internet..
I cant seem to find it now..it will probably turn up! ;)

basically a switcher body style, end cab, a long hood but no short hood, with RS3-type body parts! :P

Scot
 #746710  by Alcoman

The number 6 was scrapped around 1960 as it was only a test bed. The unit was originally designed for a in-line 6-244 engine. That plan was changed in favor of the 6-251 rated at 800hp.
Attachments:
alcoplantswitcher6.jpg
alcoplantswitcher6.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
 #748641  by Allen Hazen

It must not have been a frequently photographed unit! I have seen that shot before, and few or no others.