Railroad Forums 

• Alco RS3's, rebuilt and otherwise

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#310053  by Aji-tater

When I make a typo, I try to explain it by claiming my brain works so fast my fingers can't keep up, LOL! ;-)

#312454  by SOU2645

[quote="EDM5970"]I hate to tell you this, SOU2645, but your information on the RS-3 251 repowerings is incorrect. All three units did have RS-11 hood

Pix of the CNW units clearly show the RS36 hood with the air filter arrangement. The hood otherwise is more or less the same as an RS11. I stand by my comments.
Larry

#312637  by EDM5970

Larry-

Are we talking about the same C&NW units? They did roster ten former-NYC RS-32s, with a hood similar to the RS-36.

The biggest difference between the RS-11 and RS-36 hood is the height of the doors giving access to the power assemblies. I just took a look at the photo of CNW 1624 in DSG, and at several different RS-36 photos in Steinbrenner's book. I also took another look at one of my CNW books.

The tops of the RS-11 hood doors are at all the same height, i.e. below the bottom of the compressor aftercooler. In all the RS-36 photos in Steinbrenner's book, the center doors have their tops above the bottom of the aftercooler. The doors were made taller to facilitate power assembly change-outs.

Again, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the CNW rebuilds were done two years, more or less, before the RS-36 came out. The RS-32 has the same doors, and came out in June 1961. The taller doors also appear on the RS-27, introduced in January, 1960. But, the photos of CNW 1624 and 1613 clearly show the shorter doors.

I will admit that I made a mistake re: L&N 1350's hood. I had some bad information, in spite of it being from a railroad mechanical department drawing, which a photo shows to be incorrect.

Stand by your comments, if you wish, but I will stand by production dates and photographic evidence in regard to the type of hood used on the CNW rebuilds.

#313113  by tgibson

Hi,

I think you both may be right. Here is one of the rebuilds:

Note the low doors but the missing air aftercooler.

Here is an RS11 for a comparison:

Note the low doors and the air aftercooler.

Here is a (poor for this purpose) pic of an RS36:

Note the lack of air aftercooler and the high engine doors.

So it looks like the rebuilds have RS36 style hoods above the engine doors, but the low engine doors of the RS11.

(edit: changed oil intercooler to air aftercooler)

Hope this helps,
Last edited by tgibson on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#313311  by alcodude

:-D
Last edited by alcodude on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#313611  by tgibson

Hi,

Thanks! You can see more at my site.

Yes you're right, sorry. I've edited the post.

Take care,

#313983  by SOU2645

[quote="tgibson"]Hi,

I think you both may be right. Here is one of the rebuilds:

I siding with you. They have hybrid hoods.
Larry
 #314195  by EDM5970

That's a good description, hybrid. Some RS-11 features, but with the enclosed cooling coils of an RS-32 or RS-36. Possibly someone with some imagination at Alco used these units as guinea pigs, to see if they could clean up the hood design by hiding the aftercoolers. It worked, and was made standard on the RS-27, RS-32 and RS-36. Just speculation, but it does make a bit of sense-

Now, speaking as one who has rewired a few units, I'm curious to know know if anyone has information as to what excitation systems any of the 244 to 251 rebuilds received. I know the PA-4s retained their simplified Amplidyne, and Doyle's NKP 190, in it's third life, will have type E, courtesy of the donor unit, an M-420B. Ex-LIRR 611 and 614 were rewired with static. The CN/Via FPA-2 at NY&LE has a 251, but MLW kept the old Amplidyne. Anyone know about any others?

Something no one will be able to tell from photos, to be sure. (John, if this needs to be a new topic, feel free to edit and use your moderator's magic--)