Railroad Forums 

• Where can I get practical experience restoring old RR equip

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#149731  by bobgroh

I have just started volunteering at a local RR museum here in Kansas City area and was pointed at an observation car that needs some (no, make that a 'lot') restoration work in a variety of areas. Way outside my area of expertise.

Where can I go or who can I contact (people or organizations) to acquire some practical information on restorating old RR equipment. Mostly cosmetic, I might add. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am newly retired so I do have some spare time for traveling.

#149771  by Brad Smith

When you say mostly cosmetic, it sounds as if you need info more on general woodworking, metal fabrication or auto body repair skills rather than railroad equipment specific skills. If that's the case, check the Continuing Education departments of local high schools and vocational schools in your area. Additionally, there are a number of groups and entrepreneurs that offer workshops on woodworking, welding, restoration, etc. basics both regionally and nationally.

#149857  by bobgroh

Brad Smith wrote:When you say mostly cosmetic, it sounds as if you need info more on general woodworking, metal fabrication or auto body repair skills rather than railroad equipment specific skills. If that's the case, check the Continuing Education departments of local high schools and vocational schools in your area. Additionally, there are a number of groups and entrepreneurs that offer workshops on woodworking, welding, restoration, etc. basics both regionally and nationally.
To some extent you are right but not in the larger context - I already have the training you allude to - what I need are some specifics with regard to the restoration needs of railroad equipment - I would like to find someone or some group that can take a look at the tasks needed (e.g. replacing tiles on the observation car floor, rebuilding the blinds, arresting and correcting some bad cases of 'rust explosion' in support members, among just a few of the problems), discuss them with me with regard to what is do-able, what equipment and resource skills are needed, who in our area has those skills, ball-park cost figures, etc, etc. I need to come up with action plans, cost estimates, obtain board approval and then proceed with the work. Your comments are most welcome in any event. Thanks.

#150010  by Brad Smith

Sorry then, you're out of my league. :-D

While I am not an NRHS member, I know there is a very active local chapter here in Rochester, NY that does a great deal of rehab work. If you don't get a satisfactory response to your question here, perhaps you may want to contact these guys and they may steer you to an answer.
http://www.rgvrrm.org/index.htm

Or try their neighbors:
http://www.nymtmuseum.org/GeneralInfo.php

Sounds like a great way to begin enjoying your retirement. Best of luck.

#150857  by Aji-tater

I'd echo the previous post. There are countless museums and historical societies working on projects all across the spectrum. SOMEBODY out there is doing the same thing as you are and can help because they're just a bit father along in the process.

For that matter - take one small portion of what you have to do, get specific as possible, and post it on this forum here. I'll bet you get some answers.

#151149  by bobgroh

Thank you all. My original idea was to contact some of the RR historical societies and museums and I guess that is what I will start doing. Start here in the Kansas City area and work my way outwards. My phone bill is going to be horrendous! But should be interesting. Maybe I can find some sources in locations that would be nice for vacations! Hummm - this bears some thought.

Anyways if anyone has any recommendations on museums or historical societies - names, locations, names of people involved, etc - that would also be most gratefully received.

#151190  by Aji-tater

I don't know of all the politics you must deal with, board approval and so forth. Hopefully you have some reasonable and knowledgable people to work with and for.

Start by making a hit list of various projects including those you mention above. Then prioritize them, giving top billing to the ones that will stabilize the equipment. In other words, don't replace the floor if there's still a hole in the roof.

When you have one or two top items, take a couple photos and put them on this forum with a description of what you're asking for. And use e-mail instead of telephone for contacting other museums until you narrow down who exactly you need to talk to.

It's not rocket science, use common sense - there's no great mystery about preservation. It takes time, energy and money. Set yourself a couple modest goals and dig in. Before you know it you'll know that piece of equipment inside and out, and sooner or later somebody will come asking your advice on some other project.

#151319  by bobgroh

Excellent outline of a process to follow. I'll incorporate it in my endevor. Next trip to the railyard, I'll bring my digital camera and spent a bunch of quality time taking pictures and notes. And then, as you suggested, I'll pop (one at a time) some of the tasks onto this forum.

Plus I'll start making my list of RR museums and historical society's. Reasonable chance we have some substantial resources right here in the Kansas City area. Just have to find them!

#151553  by Aji-tater

I would suggest you do the following quite early in the process - identify all you can about the car in question, and post here and on the museums forums what it is - asking what other museums have a similar car. Maybe somebody else has a car which was built by the same manufacturer, about the same time, and maybe they've just gone through the same thing. Sure gives you a good resource! Of course you may have a one-of-a-kind that nobody else knows much about - but that will make it all the more valuable when you get it restored.

#151903  by bobgroh

I don't think the intent is add 'value' to the car. Principle intent, in my feeble mind, is to prolong the life of the subject and give the customers/fans a better looking car which more closely approximates the way it was in the good ol' days.

For example, there are two older steam engines on exhibition both of which have had very nice cosmetic paint jobs and look pretty decent. But the cab windows are missing as are the window 'arm rests', the underside of the roof (wood) is a little motley and the bottom of the cab (lower 2" or so) is rusted through in a couple of area's . Wouldn't it be nice to put new armrests in, refinish the roof (replacing any wood that needs doing) and cut out the rusted area on the cab bottom, weld in new steel, prime and repaint? The answer is yes but specific plans are needed as well as costs.

But, as you mentioned, first comes the objectives then find out how and how much and then do it. A grand adventure.

#151954  by Brad Smith

Bob,

Before I type my thoughts, I want you to understand I don't mean to question your thinking or logic and I am not criticizing you in any way. I feel compelled to say that as nastiness towards one another is frequent on this forum. I say this only to, hopefully, offer help.
what I need are some specifics with regard to the restoration needs of railroad equipment
It seems to me you may be seeing too much into this restoration procedure. Any restoration project, be it railroad equipment, historic buildings, antique cars, vintage trucks, etc. involves the same general skill sets, none of which are all that specialized for any one industry. In all the to do examples you've listed, I didn't see a single one that was specific to railroad equipment only.

For example, you mention wood on the roof of a steam engine. An experienced woodworker should be able to handle that and get you a price quote. Sandblasting, repairing and replacing the rotted steel can be done by a metal fabricator and he should be able to quote a price for that. A glazer or maybe even a mobile auto glass replacement company can replace the missing windows. I don't know what the armrest was made of, but a picture or sketch of the item with dimensions given to a woodworker or fabricator or upholsterer or whom ever will give the person what they need to figure out a quote for you. You mentioned tiles in the observation car. Get a few tile contractors in there to look at it and give you some quotes.

As Aji-tater suggested, break each project down into it's individual pieces and prioritize them, then call in professionals in each of those fields...carpenters or cabinet makers, welders, tilers, glazers, upholsters, etc... and get quotes from them. I think you will be able to find all the answers you need for pricing and qualified restoration work right in your back yard if you view each item for what skill set or trade it requires rather than viewing the whole restoration as a 'railroad' related item. I wouldn't be surprised to find you have members of many of these needed trades right in your own membership.

Hope I haven't insulted you in any way. The fact is I'm envious of you. I would love to pass the days away restoring rail equipment! Best wishes.

#152060  by Aji-tater

When I said restoring a one-of-a-kind would make it more valuable I meant in terms of it being something worth displaying or something to be proud of, not necessarily value-added in terms of absolute dollar value.

"Vote OTTO for Sheriff - he'll lock 'em ALL up!"

#172169  by jayrmli

Another place you might wish to consider is the Railroad Passenger Alliance. They are an organization of passenger car owners who have recently been very helpful in creating programs to help those who have or work on railcars, and need help on learning how to repair and/or service them.

About 3 years ago, they started offering courses on things such as air brakes, performing a Single Car Test, etc. I think over the next year they will have courses on mechanical refrigeration, Head End Power, and more.

Go to their website at www.rpca.com.

Jay