Railroad Forums 

• How can I chop-nose my HO SD-7?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#86278  by Lake State ALCohaulic

What do you think is the best way for me to chop nose my Proto 2000 SD-7? Are there any kits available?

#86307  by SRS125

There are no kits that I know of I would check into maybe geting an undec proto 2000 If I rember it right the H.O. Scale GP30 has 3 diffrent low noses in the box with it. You maybe able to swap the noses there and retain the SD7/9 Cab buy puting clear plastic in the open space for a windsheild.

#86643  by Lake State ALCohaulic

Thanks for the tip. :wink: I was thinking about purchasing a Paducah rebuild kit from Cascade & Pacific but they've discontinued it. :(

#86761  by SRS125

well I wish you the best of luck with your rebuild :-)

#86910  by JDFX

If your not following any particular prototype, and are just dropping the nose for the fun of it, I offer a different solution...

Get ahold of an Proto 2000 low nose GP18/20, and steal the cab and nose from it, and attach it to the SD7 frame..

Should go relatively easy since most of proto's models are modular in a sense..