Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Modeling Update 12/29/04

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#81725  by Otto Vondrak

Nice pictures... just wondering why you call your site "Amtrak Modeling"? And be careful about using the Amtrak logo on your web site without permission.

-otto-

#81748  by R143MAN

Thanks otto. I call my site Amtrak Modeling, because I model Amtrak mostly. Thats basically it. I will be careful with the Amtrak Logo. Thanks

#81851  by astrosa

Speaking of Amtrak modeling updates - yes, "modeling" - I've just finished adding a bunch of new pictures and descriptions of my four most recent projects. Plenty of 'not available' models here, if that's what you want to see.

Amtrak Prototype & Model

#81883  by mlrr

astrosa wrote:Speaking of Amtrak modeling updates - yes, "modeling" - I've just finished adding a bunch of new pictures and descriptions of my four most recent projects. Plenty of 'not available' models here, if that's what you want to see.

Amtrak Prototype & Model
R143MAN: I sent you an email yesterday...........

Nice work Alex! I was wondering when I was going to get to see more of your projects!

Is that actually a layout or a diorama; and is it yours? I forgot if it was you or someone else who is in college and models Amtrak. I fall into that category.

I'm SOOOOOOO itching to start on an actual layout with scenery and stuff but being back and forth between school and living in an apartment with my parents while on co-op (like a six month internship) makes it impossible. I've been able to do a little bit but I can only do but so much in these conditions.

Otto, is is ok to use the Amtrak logo if it is a link to Amtrak's website?

Thanks

#81933  by R143MAN

astrosa wrote:Speaking of Amtrak modeling updates - yes, "modeling" - I've just finished adding a bunch of new pictures and descriptions of my four most recent projects. Plenty of 'not available' models here, if that's what you want to see.

Amtrak Prototype & Model

Nice work

#81968  by Otto Vondrak

Kyle-- You'll have to ask Amtrak for permission to use their logo on your site.

Alex-- Your page is awesome. Nice design (it looks like Amtrak- that's a compliment!) and the models featured are excellent. So, the NEB&W boys let you bring out the Amtrak train, or do you have to sneak it in when no one else is around? ;-)

-otto-

#82025  by astrosa

Thanks for the comments. When I set out to redesign my page last summer, that's exactly what I was trying to do - I used the same font that is now standard for Amtrak lettering, and my icons were also inspired by some of the graphics they use. Personally I prefer Phase III paint, but it's a little hard to work those stripes into a website format!

Kyle, the layout is the New England Berkshire & Western at RPI. So yeah, I'm also a busy college student who manages to find time for modeling. I've built a few structures for the club as well, so I have plenty of ways to divide my time. I'd like to build a diorama eventually, but I'm having a hard time deciding what location it should represent.

And Otto, that photo session was indeed a covert operation late one night! I haven't installed DCC in any of my engines yet, so it would be tough to run them on the layout anyway, but since I have a few friends from around NY state who also model Amtrak, I might try to organize a specially-themed operating session at some point. As you can see, the trains we're modeling fit in perfectly with the layout's beautiful scenery.

But that's just an idea - plenty of other things to work on for now.

#82280  by mlrr

Ah yes, the RPI RR club, I remember browsing the web page some time ago. I was still in high school.

Unfortunately Drexel does not have a railroad club that I know of. My friend said she knew someone else who was into MRRing and he was in some sort of Drexel MRR club but when I researched it online via Drexel's search engine no doubt; nothing came up.

As for your diorama; may I suggest modeling the VT area. It seems most of your projects deal with equipment found on the Vermonter (cab car, baggage car and F40). I say that because as one who does a bit of kitbashing, if I was to do a diorama I would like to do a diorama that would allow me to display my work accurately. For example, I wouldn't put a kitbashed model of a superliner on a diorama of a section of the NEC outside of Washington, D.C.

Good luck with your other projects!