Railroad Forums 

• best deal you got at train show or on ebay

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#65738  by jmp883

When I switched from HO to N about 10 or so years ago I decided that I wanted to model the EL with a little LV, D&H, and NYS&W thrown in. Unfortunately I was rudely awakened to find that N-scale locomotives were limited runs and that I had already missed a good deal of EL units.

While visiting my parents in Omaha, NE one year the Great American Train Show was in town and I was able to add a few of the EL GP's that I missed. Only had to add the MT pilot kits to them. After that, I planned my vacation each year around when GATS was in Omaha. Would always come away with rolling stock, structures, and that most elusive of all N-scale items, modern-era vehicles.

E-bay helped me to complete my D&H roster, was able to get the SD's and RS's off of e-Bay. My LV and NYS&W fleets were all purchased new as they came out.

By going to shows and the internet I was able to build a decent roster of EL (almost 20) and D&H units and not have any duplicate road numbers.
I don't like taking business away from my hobby shop, but when the stores don't have them you do what you have to do.

BTW, still looking for EL RS-2/3's and GP-35's. Can't find them anywhere lately, shows or internet.

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#66758  by tocfan

I got 2 memorable deals on ebay, first I got 10 Model Railroader binders with wires for $30.00 shipping included, I did a buy it now on that less than 30 minutes after the auction opened. Second, I bought a lot of 6 NYC items, I bought it for a timetable and an issue of the headlight magazine, I was not sure because the description was ambiguous but I thought one of the other items was the book of Howard Fogg watercolors the P&LE commissioned in the 60's and it was, I have never seen this book go on Ebay for under $40. I paid with shipping for all 6 items $24.00

Mike Fleming

#66823  by early80sNECguy

At an auction in 2000 I acquired 35 brand new, unopened Athearn engines (mostly GP50, GP60, U33c, SD40-2- Undecorated-all powered) plus over 50 Athearn Double Stack well cars and a few hundred walthers trailers and containers (still in the unopened display cases). I also got a bunch of accessories and odd's and end's (all brand new) for a total of $350!!!! It was crazy! I figured I would get a few things and spend only a $100........but who could pass up the deal???? A modern-era modelers dream come true! :)

It was bought out merchandise from NorthEast Hobby shop in Philadelphia.

#69157  by conrail71

Hey,
I got three NYC 40' Accurail box cars, for 99cents, and they were local so there was no shipping ! They were painted in three variations of the Jade Green schemes.

#69199  by MR77100

My best deal was likely an HO Atlas B40-8 in Conrail that I got at a train show this past October. I bought it for $50, nearly $100 less then the normal retail price of $139.99!

#69714  by TerryC

I got a Proto 2000 SD60 for $35 insted of $75 and Great Northen F45 for $10.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ out of service 11-19-04
Keep asking keep learning

#76702  by SRS125

I managed to add 4 N Scale Atlas Locomotives for a price of $50.00 bucks in one week from the same guy. Thats a good deal 10.00 bucks for each loco with anouther 10 for shipping.

#77257  by trainiac

A brand new, undec Athearn Genesis SD70I for $50 Canadian on eBay with shipping.

#86126  by dinwitty

got a bachmann Ge 70 tonner, 10 bucks or so. its going to be redone into a steeple cab electric using the drive.

a good deal, a former Red Skelton owned brass PRR 2-10-4 is on its way home here, needing some repair..brag brag...
53 bucks...

but ebay is showing up some rare items like the Winton 1948 2-6-6-6,
these don't go cheap, over 400 bucks.

I'm happy with my Arbour 2-6-6-6 kit, 187 bucks or so.

plus found and got old Walthers CSS&SB combine kit, this is rare!

Ebay, my new hobbyshop, I can't get to train shows much anymore.