Railroad Forums 

• Walthers Amtrak Amfleet Is "Retired"

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#931399  by ajp31

Amen, Mirai! Couldn't have said it better myself. Walthers should be embarrassed that they keep trotting out those Amfleet shells in the current market, which they themselves have helped establish to much higher levels of quality.
 #931409  by ApproachMedium

Dont you get it? Walthers doesnt care. That stuff will sell just because it is what it is. They dont care about us people who really care about modeling and having things that run they care about all of the people who will buy anything that says Amtrak or NJ Transit for their kids to shut them up.
 #931441  by Cadet57

You know, ive been reading this thread for awhile now. And I have to say. I don't undertand the big deal. Yes I do realize people want the most realistic trains for a good value- don't we all. But I'm happy with the Walthers model. Is it the best? Nope. But its better than not having them. I think back to when I was trying to find MBTA horizon/comet cars before I knew about the resin makers. Same thing, are they the best running/looking cars? Maybe not but they do the job, and I'm happy with them. Then again, for an Amfleet, id prefer the new Bachmann model. I like it much more.
 #931446  by ApproachMedium

In my case thats not so much the point. The point is they take everything else and advance it, hell even the Trainline locomotives now have the P1K drives! But they continue to pump out this 30 year old outdated design that has many failure points. I could just purely go here on the NMRA standards values to start. The last revisions of draft gear cannot hold coupler height worth a crap! The cars are too light by standards but thats okay, because the weight they pull with the horrible rolling trucks equals a car 10 times the weight.
 #931485  by Cadet57

ApproachMedium wrote:In my case thats not so much the point. The point is they take everything else and advance it, hell even the Trainline locomotives now have the P1K drives! But they continue to pump out this 30 year old outdated design that has many failure points. I could just purely go here on the NMRA standards values to start. The last revisions of draft gear cannot hold coupler height worth a crap! The cars are too light by standards but thats okay, because the weight they pull with the horrible rolling trucks equals a car 10 times the weight.
Oh no I see what you're saying, and I agree. If they spent all this time and money and upgraded the Heritage cars and then the Superliners, hell now there are California cars (thou not true Surfliner cars) you'd think they'd take the time to upgrade a conceivably more popular car. I would venture more people have Amfleets than Superliners on their layouts.
 #931589  by Amtrak207

I will only be purchasing the engines and baggage cars, as much as I don't wanna say this, I am skipping the Amfleet models due to the fact they're the same models. The Dining Car is technically not appropriate for modern prototype Amtrak Heritage dining cars, but I can overlook that, wish these had metal plating. I will keep my fingers crossed for a re-tooled Viewliner (probably going to have to wait till the Viewliner II prototypes debut!)

PS... I've noticed that the Budd Diner does NOT list a complete interior as in the 1st run of Walthers Budd equipment. Hmmmmmm????? As far as the baggage cars, I will attempt to metal-plate them myself to match the Superliner cars, then weather everything in that realistic "dusty" look.

C'mon Walthers, make us happy for Amtrak's 40th with real models! =D

-Tom
 #931590  by Amtrak207

I wondered that too Ken. Or just slap the decals on a renumbered KATO F40PH =P

Anyone else wonder that perhaps Amtrak pushed Walthers to get these models out for the toy train collectors, parents, etc; and are perhaps working on re-tooled updated models for us? I'm basing this on the fact that Walthers doesn't even list them on their OWN website!

Well I can dream can't I?!?!? :)

-Tom
 #931591  by Ken S.

Amtrak207 wrote:I will only be purchasing the engines and baggage cars, as much as I don't wanna say this, I am skipping the Amfleet models due to the fact they're the same models. The Dining Car is technically not appropriate for modern prototype Amtrak Heritage dining cars, but I can overlook that, wish these had metal plating. I will keep my fingers crossed for a re-tooled Viewliner (probably going to have to wait till the Viewliner II prototypes debut!)

PS... I've noticed that the Budd Diner does NOT list a complete interior as in the 1st run of Walthers Budd equipment. Hmmmmmm????? As far as the baggage cars, I will attempt to metal-plate them myself to match the Superliner cars, then weather everything in that realistic "dusty" look.

C'mon Walthers, make us happy for Amtrak's 40th with real models! =D

-Tom
I'm tempted to order some Amfleet Is to go with my Great Dome.
 #931638  by Cadet57

It also says that inventory will not be available til 11/2011. Maybe an update is coming in the meantime? Playing devils advocate for a moment here, Walthers "retires" the Amfleets. Plans a retooling with the plate finish, maybe even interiors. Now the Amtrak 40th comes along so the cars are released then. Makes sense in my head. ;)

Btw, did anyone notice this in the discription:
eady-to-run, this model is complete with flush-fitting windows, wiregrab irons (added separately), a removable roof with separate details, and working diaphragms.
Maybe this really will be a retooling.
 #931665  by Cadet57

ApproachMedium wrote:They had all of those items before.
They do? All of the Walthers Amfleets I had didn't have removable roofs.. Was that a newer thing?
 #931669  by ApproachMedium

Cadet57 wrote:
They do? All of the Walthers Amfleets I had didn't have removable roofs.. Was that a newer thing?

No i think you are taking that detail from the Baggage cars and from the Diner. They always had removable roofs as the streamlined cars were modular.
 #931702  by Cadet57

ApproachMedium wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

No i think you are taking that detail from the Baggage cars and from the Diner. They always had removable roofs as the streamlined cars were modular.
That quote was directly from the Viewliner and Amfleet pages.