Railroad Forums 

• Help with Walkaround Control for standard DC blocked layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#762283  by Flat-Wheeler

I'm a single operator of another rather large layout that I'm constructing in an isolated area with few successful hobby shops (in fact, the new local Hobbytown store is the only new store to go dark and empty out within 4 months). I have maybe 20 locomotives, 10 cabeese, and 430 cars for variety, for use on a basically point-to-point switching layout to serve freight industry. No continuous loops. About 75 feet of mainline, a 12 ft long 9 track yard, and various industrial leads and a branch to more industry in another room. Although I may like to have up to 5 trains on the layout parked or staged here and there, I have no desire to move more than 2 at the same time (who honestly can, or wants to, switch out an industrial plant in one corner, while watching a mainline freight through the junction 24 ft away at the other corner? You'd have to have another set of eyes on the back of your head, and at least another arm.)

So, given my situation, I don't see the benefit of spending a grand or more and hours to convert my system to DCC. It's just simply not worth it, especially when the money could go to lots of other good causes.

On past layouts, I have always electrically blocked my sidings and mains into sections, each of which can be independently switched to one of three options:
1) "off" no power,
2) Power pack A (MRC Tech II Railpower 2500)
3) Power pack B (MRC Throttle Master)

It worked great because it allowed flexible control of (2) trains at the same time (more than enough for a single operator), other trains could be held in the siding or yard, and it was relatively simple to wire in most cases. However, the drawback was walking all over the basement to the train, and back to the throttle, for every movement and often I had to "squint and sprint" across 25 feet in less than a second. I was so busy trying to do so much at once, within a matter of seconds, that I never even realized I was actually missing the whole point of a relaxing operating session. Even though I was already training with NHL hockey players, it helped keep me in shape ! :wink: This operation has since come to seem rather silly, and obviously not how most advanced modelers run their miniature railroad.

Well duh !!! The obvious to an outsider is that I've always needed Walkaround control, so I can follow my train, and manually throw switches, and uncouple cars, and not walk 20 ft away from the train to adjust a throttle over there, as my train crawls the opposite direction while my back is turned.

Problem is, the only walkaround control I've found for standard DC is the MRC Control Master 20. In over 20 years of reading & subscribing magazines, I've never read of how to do this anywhere. The "build your own throttle" articles for CTC-16e or DCC systems are not anything I will ever want to do.

How does a walkaround cab system work with a block controlled layout ? Is it possible to connect a stationary throttle for the yard, perhaps another for the industrial plants, and use the walkaround for mainline travel with block selector switches positioned at several strategic locations ? How does a Control Master 20 with walkaround wire up to operate with another power pack using block control ?
 #763343  by jbvb

I've owned an Aristo-Craft "Train Engineer" wireless DC throttle for more than 10 years and like it just fine. It's connected to one of my DPDT-selected block feeds, and I use it all around my attic layout. My modular club also uses them (when anyone will let us run DC these days) and the only problem we've ever had was at big shows where other layouts were using the same frequency. It's a simple push-button throttle with no brake, momentum or fancy adjustments.

My layout is wired with several control panels, each near the area it controls to make switching easier. I've done some thinking about how to wire blocks and set up switch controls so it's easy to set up a through passenger train by only visiting a couple of the panels, but everything you need for local switching is available without walking elsewhere. The only fancy trick is that main-track blocks created for local convenience have a rotary switch with a "remote" position; when selected this block gets power from another panel so main-line operators don't need to visit every panel.
 #764026  by Flat-Wheeler

Is Aristo-Craft in business anymore ? I'd kinda prefer to have something produced now, or at least within the past 10 years. Though the wireless walkaround control would be the ultimate. Rotary switches... are out of my field of experience, but I'll have to think about them and find some (where ?)

I'm surprised... there's no thread on this website discussing electrical operation for walkaround control on a DC layout. Is this really that poor of a market, that realistic DC operation is neglected, aside from toy train transformers for continuous loops ?

I guess DCC is supposedly the only way a true model railroader operates trains with. Forget it. The money's already spent on the rolling stock, structures, and trackwork. So what do I do with these "worthless" MRC Tech Tooooh powerpacks I now have ?
 #764485  by CNJ999

As a "single operator" also, I'm going to echo jbvb's reply in saying that I, too, use the Aristo-Craft wireless "Train Engineer" to control my DC point-to-point layout and likewise have several local block control toggleswitch panels for switching specific areas of the layout. Having operated on several friends' DCC layouts, I find no advantage to switching to DCC in my particular situation and, in fact, found too many glitches with other's layouts thus controlled to raise any excitement for DCC in me. To me, my Aristo controller was superior. Personally, I regard the idea of single operators running multiple trains at one time through the use of DCC utter nonsense unless the layout has one or more continuous loops, especially after witnessing a head-on collision during a supposed DCC introductory demonstration at my local club a while back!

CNJ999
 #764527  by Cadet57

I started a thread on this a couple months ago, search for "Wireless DC Control" but the long and short of it is I found a link to a website talking about the Aristo Craft throttle. They are apparently getting hard to find, but tomorrow at the show I plan to be on the hunt for one and try it out.
 #764824  by Flat-Wheeler

FOLLOW UP:

I doubt that any of you guys are using the "Basic Train Engineer" wireless system, but I found a seller on the primary auction site with several new ones at "buy-it-now" for the cost of a quality freight car. Heck, even with shipping it is still less than an Exact Rail freight car. Other hobby suppliers are selling the same thing for $50 to $110, so I knabbed one. Perhaps this will work with my current power packs, for now anyways. Thanks again. :-D
 #764939  by CNJ999

As a matter of fact, Flat-Wheeler, I do employ the Basic Train Engineer on my layout, and as indicated in my earlier post, with great success and satisfaction. I would point out to readers of this thread that, while those having them are referring to the controllers as "Aristo-Craft" Train Engineer, in fact they haven't gone by that name is quite some time (I bought mine under that name 6-8 years ago). Currently, both the basic and advanced versions (the latter using on-board decoders and costing at least 2x as much) are sold under the name of "Crest" Train Engineer. For the single operator layout the "basic" unit, wirelessly controlling one train at a time and through using your layout's block control toggles to switch from one loco to another, work perfectly fine.

CNJ999
 #765711  by NYC_Dave

I have a 10'x20' layout consisting of a double track loop, staging yard, 9 industries, a small classification yard and engine facility. I am using cab control with 2 MRC power packs and a GML walkaround throttle. I use rotary switches for block control. I basically use the MRCs for the mainline and the GML for switching industries and the yard. The GML throttle is connected to the AC terminals of one of the MRCs. It has worked very well for 6 years.
GML Enterprises has a variety of products and add-ons.
http://www.thegmlenterprises.com/
 #765763  by Cadet57

NYC_Dave wrote:I have a 10'x20' layout consisting of a double track loop, staging yard, 9 industries, a small classification yard and engine facility. I am using cab control with 2 MRC power packs and a GML walkaround throttle. I use rotary switches for block control. I basically use the MRCs for the mainline and the GML for switching industries and the yard. The GML throttle is connected to the AC terminals of one of the MRCs. It has worked very well for 6 years.
GML Enterprises has a variety of products and add-ons.
http://www.thegmlenterprises.com/
Oh those are very cool. Reasonably priced too. However, after the show this weekend, its looking more and more likely that I will be making the jump to DCC in the future which I think will be better for me as I would love to run consists and run yard ops at the same time.
 #767671  by Cadet57

Flat-Wheeler wrote:FOLLOW UP:

I doubt that any of you guys are using the "Basic Train Engineer" wireless system, but I found a seller on the primary auction site with several new ones at "buy-it-now" for the cost of a quality freight car. Heck, even with shipping it is still less than an Exact Rail freight car. Other hobby suppliers are selling the same thing for $50 to $110, so I knabbed one. Perhaps this will work with my current power packs, for now anyways. Thanks again. :-D
Just wondering if you received yours from the seller yet? I purchased mine last Friday and have not received it yet.
 #768360  by Cadet57

Flat-Wheeler wrote:Cadet...

Seller was a bit slow on the packaging end, but I received mine today. In fact, I received two this evening. Perhaps they sent me yours ? :P
Lol good deal. But no, I got mine tonight. Acceleration is a bit slow and has a bit of a learning curve to master stopping where you want, but overall, I like it.