Railroad Forums 

• Modeling FL-9's

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#691867  by FL9711

Post some photos of your FL-9's in any railroad and scale.

These are to O scale FL-9's my dad made back when he worked for Metro North.

My HO F10 and FL-9

#691987  by conrail71

Those are beautiful! If I had those (and a mantle) they'd have a place of honor in my home! Thanks for posting. I love FL-9's in ANY scale!
Mike
 #696230  by FL9AC

Here's my lineup of FL-9's I've built thus far...still a few more to come. These are the only good pictures I have so I opoligize for the other equipment in the photos :wink: :

a few closer pictures of the two CDOT FL-9's I built for an engineer on Metro-North:

#1051689  by chrisnewhaven

What did you use as the base for your O-scale FL-9s? I am looking to build one this summer and need to find a place to start.
C.J.V.
 #1052317  by fl9m2026

chrisnewhaven wrote:What did you use as the base for your O-scale FL-9s? I am looking to build one this summer and need to find a place to start.
C.J.V.
If you want to save yourself the trouble, you might want to buy one (or more) of these from Sunset/3rd Rail models (scroll down the page for details on the O-scale FL9's and versions available): http://www.3rdrail.com/reservation.html
 #1052522  by chrisnewhaven

Im aware of the models from 3rd Rail, and what amazing models they are! I just want to try building one myself, I had a failed attempt a few years ago so I still have most of the parts, I just need to figure out how to make the body shell.
C.J.V.
 #1052665  by fl9m2026

chrisnewhaven wrote:Im aware of the models from 3rd Rail, and what amazing models they are! I just want to try building one myself, I had a failed attempt a few years ago so I still have most of the parts, I just need to figure out how to make the body shell.
C.J.V.
I envy your patience and skills.... I was never more than a middle-of-the-road builder and not a great talent at kitbashing. I took the easy way out with my HO FL9M's..... two Overland Models brass locos; CDoT 2024 and 2026 . I'm looking forward to seeing your build and really am impressed with the custom-builds/kitbashes shown above in the other posts... beautiful work.
 #1052725  by chrisnewhaven

Thanks! I should have it done by the end of the summer, so I should post some pictures by then.
C.J.V.
 #1059935  by B44NYC

River Point Station is supposed to release complete FL-9's in early NH later this year, with all the bells and whistles. No cost as yet but Google and check out their website.
 #1084581  by chrisnewhaven

OK, summer was busier than expected, but I have assembled a (what I think to be) reasonable representation of an FL-9. I spliced together two Williams by Bachman F-7 shells for the body, a Williams F-3 shell for the nose and cab, crafted a base out of basswood, and used basswood to add basic 3rd Rail equipment to trucks, and roof details (including Hancock Air Whistle). Not a perfect, 100% accurate model, but when looking at it, it is obvious that it is an FL-9. I primed it today with flat white spray paint, and sanded out any last imperfections in the body (and wood details), so tomorrow I should have the under frame & trucks painted black and the body in one last coat of flat white before I try to paint the New Haven McGinnis scheme (does anyone have any experience painting this?). I didn't know how it would look till I painted it, it was hard to tell before because the shells I used were all different roadnames. :D
C.J.V.
 #1085440  by fl92027

chrisnewhaven wrote:OK, summer was busier than expected, but I have assembled a (what I think to be) reasonable representation of an FL-9. I spliced together two Williams by Bachman F-7 shells for the body, a Williams F-3 shell for the nose and cab, crafted a base out of basswood, and used basswood to add basic 3rd Rail equipment to trucks, and roof details (including Hancock Air Whistle). Not a perfect, 100% accurate model, but when looking at it, it is obvious that it is an FL-9. I primed it today with flat white spray paint, and sanded out any last imperfections in the body (and wood details), so tomorrow I should have the under frame & trucks painted black and the body in one last coat of flat white before I try to paint the New Haven McGinnis scheme (does anyone have any experience painting this?). I didn't know how it would look till I painted it, it was hard to tell before because the shells I used were all different roadnames. :D
C.J.V.
I can't wait to see some pics!
 #1085748  by fl92027

B44NYC wrote:River Point Station is supposed to release complete FL-9's in early NH later this year, with all the bells and whistles. No cost as yet but Google and check out their website.
I talked to the guys over at River Point Station and they said the New Haven fl9's should be out in November and the CDOT version should be out early in 2013.
I already pre order a couple of the New Haven Fl9's!
 #1098505  by ApproachMedium

Ill have to get a photo of my HO Brass FL-9. It still needs paint and decals. I need to find someone to do this for me since thats two departments I cant handle.
 #1165626  by aamandg

Hi All, I have been talking to Mark from Branford Hobbies (New Haven Terminal) about doing a limited run of his FL9 shells. He has some interest but wants more input about the size of the limited run. For this reason I am poking around to see if anyone, other than myself, would be interested in getting some shells from him. Interested? Let him know, or contact me. I am hoping I can get him to do it by summers end.