Railroad Forums 

• Super Gearing

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#46418  by bando1473

Years ago I purchased regear sets for the trucks of my Athearn switchers. They worked out very well under Cary cast shells. The gear sets were sold by Ernst Mfg.Inc. Is anything like that available for Stewart Baldwin switchers? I e-mailed Ernst, have gotten a rep[ly yet.

The Stewart VO-1000 isn't bad looking but boops around like a rubber band drive Hustler.

Al Corwin

#46638  by NYC-BKO

Al, There must be something wrong with yours as mine runs as smooth as silk!! :-D

#46819  by jwb1323

I would also investigate your power pack/controller. The Ernst gears are very noisy. The chassis for Atlas and Stewart locos seem to have a top speed at 12 volts somewhere in the 80 mph range, which is a little high for a switcher, though it was important that they move at least 40-50 mph when they worked on a main line. I very seldom run my locos above the bottom half of the controller range anyhow.

The Ernst gear sets were a response to the high speed range of the earlier Athearn motors, but even the Athearn product has improved since then. The motors in Stewart locos are high quality, so I don't think they need extra attention. At most, you always have the option of using DCC and changing their speed curve by programming, which is probably a better approach than regearing.