Railroad Forums 

• Track & Cleaning

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#34276  by bncsx

Hi Again N-scalers'

I have some questions regarding track. I had an original layout using the kato snap track, but I didnt like the look of the molded ballast, so I have purchased some atlas track. I hear about different "code" track, and was confused. I think I have code 80 track but im not sure how to tell it apart from the other track I already had. How do you tell the difference between code 80 track and the other code? Can they be used together?
(I do know that the code 80 track says code 80 right on the package)
The other track I have had for a few years, no packaging left) I also want to ask your valued opinions on track cleaning. I see different types of cleaners, cars, boards, liquids, etc. I already have a cleaning car (boxcar with board underneath it) , and I have seen cleaning cars with a roller that you put a liquid on. I saw some at the train shows that go for as much as $65.00 :( (ouch !) and was wondering what everone else thinks the best way is?
Thanks to all of you for your input to my previous inquiries. They are appreciated very much. :D
 #34332  by jmp883

The code refers to the measurement of the cross-section of the rail in thousandths of an inch. The smaller the rail, the more realistic it will look. Train set sectional track is generally Code 100. Yes, they can be mixed on the same layout as I am aware of several modelers who use Code 80 for their mainlines and Code 55 for their sidings and branchlines. The important thing with mixing codes is to insure that your track is laid very smoothly and evenly at the points where the code changes. You also need to make sure, especially with the smaller codes, that your rolling stock doesn't have oversized flanges (which is very common with N scale equipment). Micro-Trains sells low-profile wheelsets if you need to re-equip your fleet, and all new MT releases come with both standard and low-profile flange wheelsets.

As to cleaning I prefer to use the old standard Walthers Bright-Boy block. A great cleaner, and since I can reach all of my trackage it's not a problem. Then a quick wipe with a soft rag to clean the residue the Bright-Boy scraped off and I'm in business. If you have difficult to reach trackage you might consider a 'work train' to clean your layout. First out behind the engine I would put the abrasive car (boxcar with a Bright-Boy affixed to the underside) followed by a wiper car. Running that train prior to an operating session, or even during one (giving it priority over all other trains), will keep your layout running well.

Hope this helps!

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29