Railroad Forums 

• Looking for stub switches & throws?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#34113  by JBlaisdell

Now that I have info on link and pin couplers, does anyone have info on just how to make stub switches? I know they are not difficult, easier than a modern switch. What types of switch stands were used in the 1830-1840s? No photos exist, of course. Woild Harps be good, or a basic hi-level stand? Likely will be only cosmetic, use an under-table link for the actual movement.

#34150  by Sir Ray

Here's a page describing how someone built stub switches for his layout - certainly not as detailed as you'd probably like, though.
It does reference a very good and well-known (heck, I even remembered it) Model Railroader article by Carl Caiati on, well, building stub switches - the page author claims it was Jan 1991, but MR's own index page give it as Jan 1986 (I thought it was much later than that myself)

http://narrowgauge.railfan.net/stub.html