Railroad Forums 

• SP Flangers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#26410  by LIRRNOVA55

anyone know how i can make an SP flanger?? if there were any articles or anything?? thanks in advanve

#27234  by LIRRNOVA55

well, thanks anyway guys. ( im not trying to be mean in anyway )

#27323  by Otto Vondrak

I'll bite... what's an SP flanger? Can you show us a picture of what it is you're talking about? I'm sure the Southern Pacific had a large roster of MW and snow fighting equipment. It is a caboose body with plow blades mounted amid-trucks?? Be more specific and maybe we can help you out.

-otto-

#27348  by LIRRNOVA55

Image[/url]

#27391  by Otto Vondrak

Have you tried searching the internet? try searching the model train magazine index, try google searches, try anything... if you were able to find this photo, you could possibly find other information on it.

Looks like you have a good broadside photo- why not make your own drawings and start building? It looks like a simple box, cut out some windows, add it to a caboose frame... the plows you could find in the Walther's catalog... the trucks you could get from Athearn... the handrails you would have to make yourself from wire...

-otto-

#27808  by LIRRNOVA55

thanks Otto, i found all the pi i need and ill cut out the metal tommorow, now i need one thing, anyone know where i can find an interior shot?? i got plenty of outside ones?
thanx..paul

#27908  by Otto Vondrak

If this flanger works like other flangers I've seen, the interior is empty- except for a couple of seats and maybe a small table. There are probably large air tanks inside that are used to operate the flanger blades- to change their orientation and such- and the seats inside would be for the operators.

Try a search on the <a href="http://index.mrmag.com/">Model Train Magazine Index</a> for plans that show the interior... you might turn up what you are looking for.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#28006  by LIRRNOVA55

GREAT !!! found umm, tanks alot, i also found alot of other stuff thatl keep me busy through new years

#28246  by Xplorer2000

I have a fondness for MOW equipment, and I've looked at the SP Flangers myself(Thats a really short one BTW).... An old Athearn "blue box" Bay window Caboose kit might be a very good starting point. There is one thing I did notice, and If you can find an end shot of some of these cars, you'll notice that they are very narrow through the body,almost to the point where the trucks seem to be wider than the carbody.(Look at the one in your picture and you can almost see what I mean, even side on...) Other than that, what Otto said. Most of the detail parts should be available from Walthers. Good luck.