Railroad Forums 

• Primer romover for plastic

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#25079  by LIRRNOVA55

What can i use to take primer off of plastic? becides brake fluid

#25152  by Marty Feldner

Back in the seventies, Scalecoat had a wash-away paint remover, re-usable. It appears to be still available. I've used it, and it was much kinder to the plastic than brake fluid- nasty stuff!

#25175  by atsfman

Scalecoat works very well. I do a lot of paint removing and painting and have had good luck with Scalecoat washaway remover on Atlas, Genesis, IM, P2K and Walthers cars. Also Kato diesels.

Read the instructions before using if you try this method and have an old tooth brush, not the one you brush teeth with, to help with the removal process.

Bob