Railroad Forums 

• Coupler Questions

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#18787  by caboose

I`m an HO scaler converting to N and I plan to purchase an Atlas RS-1 off Ebay and I noticed it had the Rapido (I think it`s spelled right) couplers.My question is,are these units easy to convert to knuckle couplers, the Micro Trains ones to be specific? :P

#18877  by jnewman

Rapidos they are!
The older RS1 and RS3 are a straightforward conversion.
You need a Micro-Trains 1158 conversion kit, which contains front and rear pilots, a pair of assembled coupler units, and some screws. It's easy to put in if you have a small razor saw and don't mind cutting chunks out of a model. You need to use the saw to cut the whole rapido coupler and its box off the truck, then you cement the pilot in place and secure the coupler in the appropriate opening with a screw. Took me about 1/2 hour to do, not counting cement cure times.
Simple!
Now, coverting an old Kato F3 to M-T couplers, that's an unspeakable horror :)
 #19429  by jmp883

Now, coverting an old Kato F3 to M-T couplers, that's an unspeakable horror

It's not that bad.........I've done 2 A units and 1 B. I will say it redefined what patience is! Being spoiled by the factory-assembled M/T's it was a bit of an eye-opener but now that I've assembled a few I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

About the only other problem I've come across with converting equipment from Rapido's is with certain freight equipment. Putting an M/T truck/coupler combo under most cars usually takes nothing more than pulling the original truck assembly out and using the stock kingpin to secure the M/T truck. I've run into a few pieces of freight equipement (manufacturers elude me at the moment) where the bolster is not capable of receiving the M/T truck with either the stock or M/T kingpins. In every case, the cars will sit WAY too high on the M/T trucks. I guess a little judicious sanding or use of my moto-tool to reshape the bolster would probably help, I'm just not sure I want to do that for a minority number of cars.

Well I'm rambling now..........

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL

#19579  by caboose

How about Life Like SD7`s,are they easy to convert?
 #19601  by jmp883

If it's a recent release all that is required to convert them is to turn the unit over and with a jewelers screwdriver pop the clip out that holds the coupler in place. Remove the coupler and the factory-assembled M/T's will slide right into place, using the stock retaining clip to hold them in place. The assembled M/T coupler that seems to fit 90% of all diesels is the MT 1025.

If it's an older version (identifiable by the lack of a pilot so the truck-mounted couplers can swing through curves) you will need to purchase a pilot kit from M/T. The pilot kits will give you the proper fill-in plates for each pilot as well as the proper M/T couplers that will need to be assembled. They will then be body-mounted to the engine. It's not a hard job, just one that needs patience. It's been a while since I've had to do a conversion, so for all I know you might be able to use M/T's assembled couplers after installing the pilots.

Hope this helps.

Long Live The EL

#19653  by keeper1616

caboose wrote:How about Life Like SD7`s,are they easy to convert?
I will be attempting one next week and will tell you how it turns out. I will be using the 1015 couple set
 #19669  by jmp883

My error, the factory assembled couplers are the 1015's, not the 1025's as I mistakenly wrote.

Good luck with the conversion!

Long Live The EL

#22781  by keeper1616

The conversion went very smoothly. No need to modify anything...just use the stock pin instead of the screws. I left the copper plate out of the final assembly, but kept them incase it will come in handy later on, I dont think it will because the spring took its place. on a scale of 1-10 I would say the difficultly is about a 6. I found it easiest if I disassembled the whole shell before mounting the couplers. I used the 1015 short shank couplers.

Have fun :D

#22788  by XRails

How hard is it to match the appropriate MT truck to a given freight car? They have so many choices, and I really can't tell from the catalog what's right for my rolling stock. I'll soon be converting my all my stock to MT while the roster is still small.
 #22831  by jmp883

Most freight car conversions to M/T trucks/couplers are easy. I've never had a problem with InterMountain, Red Caboose, Atlas, most Con-Cor, and other high quality cars. I do have several freight cars from n-scale train sets that I would like to run on the layout but the underframe/bolster designs make the mounting of M/T trucks difficult. The only reason I haven't attempted it yet is that I have other projects that are higher priority, and I have WAY TOO MANY frieght cars on the layout as it is.

One day I'll sit down and work on them. Right now I'm having too much fun with all my other projects.

Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#23149  by N-railroader

In general it's easy.
Just some hints upfront:

= There is a good MTL ad in June/04 ModelRailRoader. Compare for styles
you need. Also in an older MRR has been a nice list of freight
car trucks, their manufacturing years/usage etc.
MTL is also selling "high" and "low" flanges, and trucks are coming
with king pins, washers, etc.
Last but not least, MTL has different coupler lengths on sale!
= ATLAS also sells trucks, but I think they don't uncouple as reliable
as MTL, they might just require stronger magnets.
= Sometimes (older ConCor) the holes in the trucks need honing. No
problem with the right size of round file, just be carefull and take your
time.
= Similar w/Bachmann and ModelPower (screw instead of pin).

Try out and have fun.

:wink:

#24350  by sam

sorry, caboose....
its not "rapido"....but rather "crapido"....;)
hehe...
yes you can convert to knuckles...
but if i may suggest....
although it is a little more difficult...
look into the possibility of MT z couplers...
they look much more prototypical....
and will also function with normal n knuckle couplers...
i believe they are item no. 903 (for the kits) and 905 (for the built ups)