Railroad Forums 

• what is a DCC?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#333747  by hoborich

One more thing for the newbies. With DCC, there is always voltage on the tracks, somewhere around 14 to 16 volts, and it is AC voltage. The decoder in the locomotive rectifys the voltage, and sends signals to the motor for speed control. This allows the lights to remain on, in locomotives, and passenger cars, while the train is standing still.
Each locomotive has an address, which you program into the loco. This allows you to control any specific loco on a layout, or with another throttle, control a second loco separate from the first loco, on the same track, or layout. Most DCC systems allow you to add extra throttles. I have run three trains on my layout many times. I could run up to ten, but three is all my old brain can keep track of without mishaps.

#333902  by Steve F45

thanks for that info. It wouldnt be smart to run a dcc equiped loco on a regular dc track? I have a kato that i'de like to see run but its dcc and i have no dcc stuff what so ever. All my track is atleast 15+ years old.

#333912  by scopelliti

Not so much "not smart" as it wouldn't do anything. The DCC decoder expects to see a digital signal on top of the track power that encodes the commands from your throttle. So, if it does not see the right signals, it does nothing.

#335392  by hoborich

The only exception is some newer locos, that will run on both DCC and analog DC, which includes most of the QSI sound equiped locos, although you won't get the DCC features when running on analog DC.

#335464  by Steve F45

so is it possible to remove the dcc from a kato loco? I want to make sure this thing can run.

#336084  by hoborich

DCC can be removed from any loco, and the motor leads connected directly to the track pickups. But why would you want to? Or maybe you don't have a DCC powerpack?

#336086  by Steve F45

i dont have anything dcc. I just have all my old dc stuff stored in a box from when i was a kid. It hasn't been used in atleast 15 years maybe. Only reason i picked up the kato sd80mac was to do a "i wish it existed" loco for a railroad.

#336178  by ApproachMedium

Check with Kato to see if your exact loco supports both DC and DCC mode. Most new decoders, and locomotives shipped with DCC installed are able to be hardware switched and software switched to be able to handle DC as well as their native DCC. Like new atlas locos with DCC installed have jumpers that move from one side to the other that allow DC only or DCC mode.

Note of caution though, if yours does support DC and DCC, if you begin to use the locomotive in DCC mode and program it. Never return it to DC track as there may be undesireable results in your program after running on DC, and then putting it back on DCC. I have a few dual mode locos that all decided to forget one thing or another and had to be wiped to factory settings after programming, running on DC, then running on DCC.

#336372  by Steve F45

thanks for the tip. I'll look at kato's site later and see if i can find out.