Railroad Forums 

• Atlas turntable motor questions

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#14453  by stuart_iowa

i just installed the one I was given today on my turntable and it runs great.
Only problem with the turntable motor is it makes more noise then a chainsaw running.
Anyone know any simple ways of making it run quieter?
I know i could replace the turntable with something more realistic but my grandfather
got me the turn table and I want to keep it on the layout
so anyone with ways to deafen the noise please speak up and I mean speak loud, it is
one loud machine when running.
I have oiled the grears, no difference noticed.
so tell me your ideas
thanks
stuart in iowa
 #14468  by Tom Curtin

I would guess your turntable and motor drive are screwed down on a hard surface, like plywood, and that this is contributing to the noise. Is there maybe a way you could insert a piece of thin rubber matting between the TT/motor drive and that hard surface? I bet that would damp out the noise.

This is all I can think of,

#14534  by rockytop

A few possible thoughts -
1 - Check the gears for flash
2 - Check that there is not too much play due to the holes for the gear axles being too large - it might br possible to fill in the holes, redrill them large and insert a brass bushing of the correct inside diameter for the axle
3 - Shim the gears if there is a lot of play between the hub of the gear and the side of the mount

Hope you are successful

Charles