Railroad Forums 

• NEW pike-size passenger trains from Walthers...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1347640  by Ken S.

Backshophoss wrote:Due to a lack of pre-orders,and events over in China,Walters had to "shelve" the project for now. :( :(
Maybe they should have looked into doing this project as part of the Mainline Series. The lower prices of Mainline vs. Proto would probably have generated more sales for these cars (Some of which weren't prototype to the railroads anyway. The Erie Lackawanna coach was more or less a repaint of the coach from the Capitol Limited.). I also would have used different locomotives for some of the roads.

D&H - PA
EL - E8
NKP - GP7/9
D&RGW PA
MP E Unit or GP
 #1354042  by Benjamin Maggi

It would have helped if they had done more advertising in Model Railroader. I would have pre-ordered the D&H train if I had known about it, but only saw the link through this forum a month ago.
 #1369095  by Benjamin Maggi

At the recent Springfield, MA train show I talked with a representative of Walthers at their booth about these trains. I had barely gotten out "About the five pike-sized passenger trains...") when he started to shrug and had a sad expression on his face. He knew what I was going to ask. Apparently, Walthers received on average pre-orders equaling about 20% of the trains they were going to produce. They were expecting a lot more pre-orders, and when that didn't materialize they canceled the project. I didn't bother to ask him (I should have) if certain trains did better than others.

Searching the internet for this subject revealed many other threads on different forums from last summer discussing why they thought the trains were cancelled. It is a shame too, as the D&H one really looked neat. Oh well.