Railroad Forums 

• Finished - Amtrak #9800

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1257491  by Acela82

Hi guys,

i have built several Amtrak Cab Cars out of old Bachmann Metroliners in the past but this time i wanted something special, so i decided to built Amtrak #9800, the conference cab. The prototype was was built out of a Metroliner Parlour car, so shell modifications were bigger than in the past. I had to close two windows on each side, i filled them with sheet styrene and putty and sanded them down until all was smooth. Compared to the "normal" cab cars, #9800 has no door at the front end, just a second window, which was easy to create. I decided to paint it in the Phase 3 scheme, which is the most beautiful in my opinion. Red/white/blue stripes are from Microscale, after all decal work was done, i installed windows from a Walthers Amfleet car. I custom built the light bar on the cab from styrene and installed a horn, thats it.

BTW, if anyone is interested, since this model does not fit my collection, its up for sale...
 #1258357  by Acela82

Nice work. do you have cab cars for sale?
Beside this one at ebay,no, but i will build some more in the future.
Looks great.

Do you have before and after pictures?
Yes, here is one that shows an out of the box Bachmann Metroliner and the 9800, paint removed and two windows closed:

Nice model of a neat protoype!
I saw it a few days ago and posted it on another forum: http://acmodels.boards.net/thread/135/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rence-9800
I'm always a fan of your Amtrak work.
Thanks for your kind words and advertising!