Railroad Forums 

• Life-Like shells on Athearn/Atlas frames?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1170558  by Backshophoss

The Proto-1000 drives are athearn clones,unless we're dealing with "train set" quality early Life-Like models.
Am working on a NPCU(F-40) using the body shell of the F-40,that shell fits over a Athearn GP-7/9 frame, :)
but had to modify the ladders to clear the spring pack of the trucks. :(
 #1170864  by Death Star

Both are train set quality Life-Likes. Frames came with truck mounted horn hooks. I took the shells off their chassis/frame. leaving me with two shells minus the bottom half of the shell where the handrails, walkways etc are, similar to Atlas locomotives. I am assuming the RS-11 would fit on to an Atlas RS-11 frame with the bottom half of the shell. What about the GP7? What would that fit on? I know Atlas used to make GP7/9 locomotives but am wondering if the shell would fit the frame.
 #1170889  by Backshophoss

The only way to know for sure is to test-fit the shell to the frame you plan to use,take note of the following:
1.the motor fits inside the body shell-athearn motor or can motor.
2.the pilot steps clear the frame to allow the shell to sit on the frame.
3. the trucks can swivel enough to follow the rails.
4. look at what needs to be done to to the bodyshell to fit the frame evenly.
Good luck ;)
 #1171750  by cnj1524

Why bother,what is it that you bought(LIFELIKE)or PROTO,if you have these models,GP7 and RS11 are made by atlas,sorry but if you have this much time,ur wasting it,buy shells that fit the frames or drives you have
 #1208482  by Montrealrail1

By experience,GP7 frame will not fit,unless you made some modifications,to make fit the bottom frame to the shell..

for the RS11,I have no idea but it could be possible,need to try to see wath it can be possible or not...
but,if you have Athearn F units bottom frames,it fit very easy with Life-Like F unit shell,the only work to do is in the front coupler,it stick directly on the frame,need to remove it,the,make a bigger hole to fit the bottom frame coupler in..
here's my f units,Athearn frame and Life-Like shell,still have works to do on them,a bit of detailling,renumbering them and converting them to DCC,cause I'm finally do the step to DCC next month..