Railroad Forums 

• Visiting a train show . How do you shop at a show?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#88874  by stuart_iowa

I was thinking of this as i was replying to another topic here. How do you shop at a train show for deals?

Here is how I do it, I had to explain my thoughts on why I do things to the great girl friend. She loves to shop and loves to buy as she goes.

1) after paying to get into the show ( i hate paying to spend my money my pet peeve)

2) I walk around very quickly looking at what most sellers have forsale, looking for models I like or want. No buying till I walk around the whole place. Compare Prices as i walk around. I might miss a model purchase but at least I know what else is there to buy

3) set a limit before I buy anything used as to what i would pay for it.

4) after walking around the first time i go back and find the models I wanted to get a better look at the models in question. then I start buying what i want to purchase. Nothing worse then buying a locomotive froma dealer then finding the same model a few tables away for less money. Getting the best deal is part of the fun at shows.

5) if the model is high and I want , see if the dealer will male a deal on it. never know till you ask, i seldom ask for deal, I let the gf make those deals when i am not around.

6) if your other half is not a model train person, tell him or her that you are looking for something special and show them it soon as you see one, gives them something to look for, make them feel like they are involved in the shopping trip. MY gf found more csx units then I was prepared to look at or buy, I never did buy one. but saw lots

7) after buying those items I saw in my first walk around then i take the time to start looking at the junk boxes and the stuff under the tables on the floor for odds and ends.

8) i try and avoid the hobby store tables till last, I can shop store retail anytime and I know some offer show specials but I know I can always just go order something from them and wait a few days it should come. I do buy things like couplers and stuff for the new cars and locomotives I pick up at the shows there. The hobby store tables always have a good selection of those on hand.

9) take one last look around for anything that jumps out at me then leave and tell the gf thanks for coming along and spending a few hours with me at the show.

10) the most important rule be thankful for anything the gf picks out and make sure to fuss over it. even if it is not something you wanted. so far my gf has not missed , always found things i liked. She likes the KATO brand name.....first models she purchased for me were KATO and she has stuck with it

so how do you shop at the show ?
your thoughts and ideas?
stuart
 #88994  by jmp883

Stuart_Iowa,

I go to shows to get items that are no longer available new. I make my initial walk-through of the show somewhat slow and deliberate so I can see what each vendor has. If I see something that jumps right out at me, I'll usually buy it right away. Murphy's Law was written expressly for me so I go with the logic that there is probably someone else there looking for it too. After my initial walk-through then I make a 2nd round and really look at what each vendor has.

If it's a multi-day show I'll also come back with about 2 hours left to go on the last day. Who knows what deals you'll find or be able to make. Most vendors would rather load less than they unloaded, so you can usually do pretty good. Of course selection may not be as good as when the show opened, but I've made out pretty good doing this.

As for dealers who have tables at shows, I'll look at what they have but I usually don't purchase from them simply because I can get what they have from my own local hobbyshop.

The fun never ends........

Joe P :-D

#89142  by sjl

well, i guess i'm in between. i ordinarily proceed just as stuart_iowa described, but i once missed out on an out-of-production item that i had been searching for. ya snooze, ya lose, as they say. so now, if i have a specific item in mind and i see it, i don't wait.

stuart_iowa's points 9 and 10 may be the most important. now, if the rest of us could just borrow that gf for a few moments to make the deals for us......

(just kidding!!!!)

sub-topic: as someone who works behind the counter in a well-stocked train-only hobby shop that discounts everything, few things are as irritating to me as the guy or gal who comes in on the way home from a train show and says, "i got a great deal on some engines, so i'm here to get couplers. ya got any #58's?", when we have the same engine for $8 more. we didn't charge you 8 bucks to get in, we didn't soak you $3.50 for a lousy hot dog, we didn't charge you for parking. we honor manufacturers' warrenties, and we'll be here to help you out with track, DCC, detail parts and everything else. so cut us a break - -when you come in for those couplers, don't mention the "great deal" you think you got. just tell us you enjoyed the show and you're looking forward to getting some work done on the layout. we'll believe you, too....

off the soapbox now. the above sermon does not apply to anyone who doesn't have a good shop nearby - i realize i'm spoiled. seriously, enjoy the show -- i wish i could go to Springfield too.

#89640  by Camelback

Here's what I do:

1) Learn the train show's reputation and what kind of dealers will be there. There is nothing worse than paying eight bucks at the door only to learn that 90% of the dealers are selling used Lionel crap they found in a yard sale. It is a waste of my time and money.

2) Number one item -- find out who is selling flex track, turn-outs, road bed, couplers, etc... at deep discounts and get there first. These are the dealers who usually sell out first. Yes, that loco I really want will probably still be there in an hour but the Peco curved turnout selling for $7 or $8 bucks won't be.

3) Find the guys who paint and modify the Blue Box kits and other items for the smaller, more obscure fallen flags. Need a GE 70 ton switcher in Rahway Valley colors? How about an M&E RS-11? These things will go fast.

4) Next I look for discounts and items no longer produced, especially anything in Jersey Central.

5) Buy a hot dog, soda and check out the N'track and other sectional layouts running.

6) Look to see if my LHS guy is busy. If not, go over and chew the fat.
 #90237  by bando1473

I've been doing train shows for years, as a customer and as a vendor.

I like to get a table and have my wife watch it as I make the rounds, wife packs a lunch and takes her knitting..the whole bit. Sometimes I buy more stuff that I sell.

A local Model Railroad Club is having their first show in march. Thought I would get a table, they have a clause in the application. "Dealers will refrain from buying from each other till the show is over". no thanks, I'll probably go to the show, but not have a table. This rule keeps about 50 potential customers, who are in the building, away from your table.

Your thoughts?

Al

#94968  by Xplorer2000

sjl wrote:well, i guess i'm in between. i ordinarily proceed just as stuart_iowa described, but i once missed out on an out-of-production item that i had been searching for. ya snooze, ya lose, as they say. so now, if i have a specific item in mind and i see it, i don't wait.

stuart_iowa's points 9 and 10 may be the most important. now, if the rest of us could just borrow that gf for a few moments to make the deals for us......

(just kidding!!!!)

sub-topic: as someone who works behind the counter in a well-stocked train-only hobby shop that discounts everything, few things are as irritating to me as the guy or gal who comes in on the way home from a train show and says, "i got a great deal on some engines, so i'm here to get couplers. ya got any #58's?", when we have the same
engine for $8 more. we didn't charge you 8 bucks to get in, we didn't soak you $3.50 for a lousy hot dog, we didn't charge you for parking. we honor manufacturers' warrenties, and we'll be here to help you out with track, DCC, detail parts and everything else. so cut us a break - -when you come in for those couplers, don't mention the "great deal" you think you got. just tell us you enjoyed the show and you're looking forward to getting some work done on the layout. we'll believe you, too....

off the soapbox now. the above sermon does not apply to anyone who doesn't have a good shop nearby - i realize i'm spoiled. seriously, enjoy the show -- i wish i could go to Springfield too.
Truth be told, I prefer My local guy, because he's always there, and usually takes care of me.
That said I go to the train shows motly to find older stuff that my local dealer either can't(or sometimes WON'T...) get. Out of production stuff, older stuff, BLUE BOX kits he told me "NOBODY" wants anymore. I try to hit all the stops bfore commiting to a purchase, anlthough at Springfield, thats kinda tough to stick to. I have a basic checklist of what I'm looking for as a priority, and after that its pretty grab anything that looks like a good bargain, but might have been further down my "want list". I did good this year at Springfield: 2 Switchers, a dozen or so freight cars, 2 passenger cars, and an engine shop building (my first structure kit...). All in all, I think I did well.

#95057  by SRS125

I have been to many shows as a buyer and as a helper with my local hobby shop. I do make in point to buy from my local hobby shop(s) in the area as ofton as I can as well. If I can't get it then I go to my # 2 supplyer in Canada which has what I'm looking for most of the time. If they can't get it E-Bay will become a place to look.

When I get ready to do a show I keep a point to case the joint first with a note pad and pen write down what I like write prices and shop names then go back to the lowest price. I also keep a list of what I have in cars, loco's and so forth for a recored of what I have that way I don't pick up double numbers. I'm also one to keep a print out of how many of each car I have for exsaple:

Single Door Boxcars 55
2 Bay Covered Hoppers 15
50' Flat Cars 10
All Door Boxcars 6
60' tank cars 1

Buy doing this I check my fleet to see what I'm lowest on in car types like at this time I have well over 100 3 Bay Covered Hoppers I don't need any of them. But I could use Reefer Cars for a new meat packing ware house or Flat Cars for a steel mill. I like to go and look for what I would like to get. Such as this I went to a small show last summer with $100.00 bucks in hand found 4 reefer cars and only spent $30.00 yes I may have passed up a great deal on lets say on Intermountan 3 Packs of 73' TTZX Centerbeam cars for $20.00 but at this time there not on my priority list neather would the 2 Kato locomotives that were selling for $25.00 each.