Railroad Forums 

• Trains Magazine Subscribers..............Beware!

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#990422  by charlie6017

I got home from work today and got my mail, and in my mail was a letter from "Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad", encouraging me to become a part of their organization, based in Albuquerque, NM. They sent me a introduction letter, pamphlet, and self-addressed stamped envelope. Evidently, they are a preservation society soliciting nationwide to help their cause. Anyway, I called them and politely asked how they received my mailing information, being that I live in New York State. The rep on the phone stated that they received it from Trains Magazine. I thanked her, and hung up, and then proceeded up send an email, which is below.
Good evening,
Late this afternoon when I received my mail, I found a letter from the "Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc." They have extended me an invitation to become their organization that is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of one of the world's most historically authentic and scenic narrow gauge steam tourist rails, and to "Come dust yourself with soot and cinders!"

I called this organization to inquire whereabouts they received my name since I live in New York State and they are headquartered in New Mexico. The representative said they got it from Trains Magazine!

While I am indeed a rail enthusiast, I am not at all pleased that your company sold MY NAME to another organization for marketing purposes, and I can assure you that if my name is not removed IMMEDIATELY from ALL LISTS that your company sold to other organizations, I will CANCEL my subscription to Trains Magazine and demand a swift refund for the balance remaining. I strongly suggest that you heed my words because my hard earned dollars could well spent elsewhere!!

Charles Ricker
Rochester, New York
This is the first time receiving any such solicitation, and am not pleased that Trains allows this. If it continues, I will gladly cancel my subscription and spend my dollars elsewhere. I'm not sure how much it happens to others, but I'm not tolerating it.

Thanks for listening to my rant........
Charlie
 #990639  by charlie6017

Follow up:

Kalmbach Publishing responded up my email with an apology for my inconvienience and notified me that "I have been removed from all promotional mailings."

I do not mind contributing to anything, be it a children's fund, cancer research, or a tourist railway......but I frown on blatant annoying solicitation.

Also, I live in New York State.......if I want to send monetary contributions to a railroad, I would choose a local road, Adirondack Scenic, Saratoga & North Creek, Catskill or Arcade & Attica, not a railroad across the country!

Charlie
 #990665  by toolmaker

I don't understand the "problem". I have a Trains magazine subscription too, over 30 years. When something comes like that arrives I read it and toss in the bin. If this type of mailing helps keep Trains Magazine in the black then I support their efforts.

-Gary
 #991268  by MEC407

I'm not currently a Trains subscriber, but when I have had subscriptions in the past, I would frequently also receive catalogs from companies selling railroad memorabilia/toys/trinkets.

This seems to be pretty common with magazine subscriptions of all kinds, and has been going on for a long time. I used to get dozens of computer catalogs back in the '90s and early 2000s when I subscribed to a couple of computer magazines. Likewise I would get tons of junk mail from camera retailers when I used to subscribe to a photography magazine. It's definitely not something unique to Trains.