Railroad Forums 

• 20th Century Limited Recreated in Toyota Ad

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#805357  by Marty Feldner

I've seen this ad several times. It looks to have been created by a twenty-something advertising wonk using his idea of a thirties streamlined steam locomotive (that looks closer to Lionel or American Flier than anything the NYC- or anyone else- ran); the same or a different wonk's idea of forties dress, and the same or a different wonk's use of an early fifties song.

Nothing like historical accuracy...
 #811163  by Otto Vondrak

It doesn't look like the 20th Century Limited at all, but rather a garish toy train styled to evoke the era. Closest match I could think of would be the Mercury or the Cornelius Vanderbilt "upside down bathtub" streamstyled steam locos. But I don't think these producers were trying to model any one specific train, but it definitely has an "eastern" flair.

-otto-
 #811490  by 3rdrail

I think that you're right, ATSF. The Hiawathas are the closest that I can see. You've got to admit, especially for rail buffs, this is a stylish commercial that is pretty well done, if not totally accurate ! :-D (Man o man ! They were beauties !)
Attachments:
HiawathaHudson.jpg
HiawathaHudson.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 3911 times