Railroad Forums 

• New guy on BNSF

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#373899  by bubbaXjoe

Just wanted to say Howdie to everyone...Im a new Conductor Trainee in Gillette Wy. Class start April 2nd. I just got done with a 6 year enlistment in the Air Force and cant wait to get movin. Any advice for a newbie???
Thanks guys

#374485  by GN 599

Dont get killed because then they will fire you.

#374602  by route_rock

Yes please if you feel the need to die on the job please leave company property so you wont be breaking any rules.
Welcome aboard enjoy your time in training. Listen and pay attention to everything. Dont be afraid to ask questions.
 #374859  by amtrakhogger

Be careful. Do not be late or call out sick. You will be on a probation
for at least 90 days.
 #380588  by bubbaXjoe

Well...as expected they threw me a curve ball (seems like a good one though). HR called today and said that the Gillette class wasn’t happening so I am going to Edgemont South Dakota. Seems like a good area and they actually have houses available to rent unlike Gillette. It does seem that with this career you have to always be ready for the inevitable "Curve ball"...

#380616  by route_rock

I about joined you in edgemont for an engineer class. However the RFE was a good enough guy to explain he wouldnt release me until I was room temp lol. However several of our newbies are out in Gillete right now and obviously didnt get the same advice.
At least your rolling with the curve balls. This place is almost like the Military. Hurry up and wait, threaten threaten threaten, But you work with some of the greatest people. Makes it all worthwhile in the end.

#380638  by TB Diamond

Edgeville? Started my student engineer trips Alliance-Edgemont 08-79. Should you be unable to find a decent place there, try Hot Springs. Lots of the Edgemont guys live up there. We used to kid the Edgemont prople about glowing in the dark account radiation from the old uranium mill. Might be cleaned up by now? Plenty of hot water. We used to lay over in the Huff Hotel (enginemen) or at the Victory (trainmen). The trick was to draw a bath and then hope that nobody jumped in it ahead of you when the water cooled sufficiently. The aternative shower was a challenge. One could have scalded a chicken after about 1" in the stream. Good luck.

#385995  by bubbaXjoe

Finally got my final No S!@T hire call, to start on Monday. Hot springs it is...Edgemonts a ghost town. Gonna live in a hotel for a while, Im sure most you guys out there have done it a time or two. No complaints here though, Im just greatful to have a job.