Railroad Forums 

• Metro-North Locomotive Engineer Training Program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#202828  by DutchRailnut

Class room training is about 45 days then the on job training and qualifying all divisions takes about a year total

#202843  by Carmine

Interesting... And how does one apply for admission into this program?

#202849  by DutchRailnut

MNCR only hires from within the ranks or from other class 1 railroads with valid certificate.
So basicly you need to start in other craft(apply on line) and after year put in for transfer papers.
see: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/html/employment ... osting.cfm

#202854  by Carmine

DutchRailnut wrote:MNCR only hires from within the ranks or from other class 1 railroads with valid certificate.
So basically I need to work at, lets say, CN or CP (I live in Canada), or at my city's commuter railroad, to get experience, and then apply for MNCR?

#202863  by DutchRailnut

you would need to work as Engineer with valid certificate to be hired from outside, official wording is from a class 1 railroad.
or you need to work any of MNCR crafts.

#202916  by Anonymous881

Allright, so I am currently an engineer trainee at a class one railroad in the NY area. (My screen name I think gives it away). In a few years, next time metro-north starts to hire, pretty much I qualify then?

#203067  by ClearFromBerkToHill

I wouldn't say you automatically "qualify," but railroad experience increases your chances tenfold - as would already being a MNRR employee.

I can say from experience that getting on MNRR has become extremely difficult, but their communication isn't bad. You at least will receive the infamous index card stating they have received your resume, etc. I know some employees whose relatives are having trouble getting on, even with the well-known last names.

But, give it a shot. Definitely worth the effort
 #203241  by Penn Central

NSLET wrote:How long is the Metro-North Locomotive Engineer Training Program? (inclusive of classroom, qualifying and field work)
The Metro-North program is a three phase program.
Phase I 45 days classroom and simulator instruction
Phase II 30 days of training trains with instructors
Phase III aprox. 10 months of OJT on all three lines*

* Phase III can be reduced if engineers from tenant railroads have been previously qualified on one or more lines. They still must qualify on Metro-North equipment.

Re:

#923249  by truck6018

Anonymous881 wrote:Allright, so I am currently an engineer trainee at a class one railroad in the NY area. (My screen name I think gives it away). In a few years, next time metro-north starts to hire, pretty much I qualify then?
Regardless on whether or not you have the qualifications for the job you must go through the hiring process including written tests, physicals ability test, medical exam, interview, etc. Only after the panel interview will there be a possibility of a job offer.

ClearFromBerkToHill wrote: I can say from experience that getting on MNRR has become extremely difficult, but their communication isn't bad. You at least will receive the infamous index card stating they have received your resume, etc. I know some employees whose relatives are having trouble getting on, even with the well-known last names.
Being MNR is no longer responsible for hiring it has been more difficult for those with relatives and internal applicants alike.
 #923407  by truck6018

Amtrak7 wrote:MNR's not responsible for hiring its own workers? Who took over?
The MTA BSC (Business Service Center). They are now responsible for most human resource functions for Metro North, LIRR, MTA HQ, MTA PD and MTA BSC. In another year or two they will also be responsible for NYC Transit human resources.

The BSC was created to combine many of the back office functions of the individual agencies into one "efficient" department. This newly created division of the MTA went online on January 3, 2011. So far under the BSC there have been stories of some employees not getting paid. Some have gotten the wrong deductions withheld from their pay. Automatically withheld child support not getting paid. Outside vendors not getting paid and some getting issued duplicate payments.

More of the MTA BSC debacle can be found in this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 63&t=80607
 #948256  by truck6018

enginedave wrote:Stressful? Only if it isn't your "calling" LOL. There are some factors: You are overtired, have a tool for a conductor, etc. Speaking of the MNCR LETP, I'm hoping to get an interview in the coming weeks!
Wow I guess they are in full throttle hiring more engineers. A month or two ago they were accepting resumes and they are having three test sessions in the upcoming weeks. I'll be testing on July 5th.

enginedave: sent you a PM.