Railroad Forums 

• East Buffalo Yard

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#717579  by nydepot

Where was E.B. Yard located? The LV comes in under the 240 symbol on Harlem Rd. The branch to Tifft curves south just after that. Was it where all the cars are or am I way off? It appears west of here the line heads to the former pass. station.

In relation to the LV yard, where was the huge DL&W black-colored bridge you could see in the background when facing north at the LV E.B. yard? I think it's the city branch and not the one that heads north from here but the one that heads further into the city (west).

I assume E.B. yard was not as large as Tifft?

Thanks!

Charles
LV.jpg
LV.jpg (118.2 KiB) Viewed 9036 times
 #717602  by scottychaos

Charles,
you are close..just a bit to the south and west..

the yard was at Dingens and South Ogden streets..

Originally two large LV roundhouses stood on the site, then they were torn down and the "new" LV passenger station was built there in the 1950's..
after route 190 construction took away the LV branch into downtown..

today a CVS, Wendys and a strip mall occupy the site..
the DL&W bridge crossed over the Erie just north of the LV yard:

historic map:
http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=NY

I use that triangle-shaped pond near the DL&W roundhouse as a handy landmark..its still there.

Scot
 #718045  by umtrr-author

With respect to the lower left corner of the 1950 USGS map for which Scotty provided the link, near the corner of Bailey and Clinton... was that really a three level railroad crossing? Wow...

[And an aside to those of us who also take interest in highway route markers, I see that Bailey is not only US 62, but also NY Route 18. It's still 62, but 18 ends up near Niagara Falls now.]

It is amazing to consider the density of railroad lines in the Buffalo area, as opposed to what's there now, which is still not anything to sneeze at.
 #718719  by lvrr325

What is that to the west of where the LV Tifft line splits off, a junkyard?
 #719275  by nydepot

They are junk cars but it's all nice and orderly. I think it's one of those "you-pull-it" places for when you need a part.
 #1137712  by Train70

In response to 09 post question by umtrr author as to three level crossing ,the DL&W and Pennsy crossed at grade,the Valley bridged over with Rt 62 bridge right beside it.