Railroad Forums 

• LV Penn Locomotive Change

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#478100  by tantg

Hello
Can someone please let me know approximately how long it took to change engines please and can you let me know if it was done at either Hunter or LV Newark station.
Thank you.
Glenn

#478127  by GOLDEN-ARM

The Valley changed out power, with the Pennsy, at NK tower, via the Hunter connection. There was a length of catenary that ran up the connection, to NK, and the Pennsy used to pull up to the top of the ramp, and cut-off. A loco (or locos) were waiting either east of the connection on the LV main, or west of NK. The swap only takes (took) a few minutes, with both roads making quick work of the swap. There is a video, or two, showing the swap from GG-1 to PA-1s there, as well as a Valley S-2 switcher adding cars to the train, right there at NK. The longest part of the process involves waiting for the interlocking to set-up, and change the routing of switches and signals. Between runs, the PA's would layover at Oak Island, and could be called upon to make turn around runs to South Plainfield, or to Claremont. Hope this helps a bit...... :wink:

#478153  by CAR_FLOATER

A question for the Honorable G-A -

Far be it from me to question a former LV employee whom I hold in high regard, but PA's to Claremont? Is there photogaphic evidence of this?
I mean, would think that the management wouldn't want to risk running their premier passenger power over second-class freight trackage on a glorified frieght run that could get derailed/dammaged and be unable to protect the outbound train. I totally believe the S Plainfield STA, but I just have a problem seeing a PA set on the Nat Docks or rolling across the diamonds at Jersey Ave. in my minds eye......(though I hope it DID happen now and again, it gives me an excuse to buy a set)

CF

#478193  by JimBoylan

In the days of steam heat, changes were quicker. There was no delay waiting for assurance that Head End Power was turned off. The cock for the steam line was near the angle cocks for the air and signal lines.

#478381  by GOLDEN-ARM

CF, I'm just a west coast, short line engineer, I've never heard of this "Valley" you keep refering to....... :wink: The mainline of the Valley used to run through Oak Island, over the Upper Bay bridge, and down to Johnson Ave, and Claremont, via the LVRR owned National Docks railroad. This was double tracked, signaled 136 pound mainline, up until the early 60's. The Apollo and other pigs ran from the east side of the bay, over the bridge, as well. Remember the Valley had a pax operation out of the area of the LV carfloat operations, before trains were diverted to the Pennsy, via the Hunter connection. PA's started in freight service, and ended in freight/work train service. Using extra locos to run STA's, Locos laying over at 91 Bay street could be used anywhere, if they could be brought back in time to protect schedules. I will search my collection for anything interesting. Perhaps the one to ask for pics of PA's at National Docks locations would be LV-2? His collection, and those from his father, might contain the pic you seek......

#478586  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"]CF, I'm just a west coast, short line engineer, I've never heard of this "Valley" you keep refering to.......:wink:[/quote]

Uh-huh, sure you are......

Where's this Johnson Ave place you speak of? There was a street in Jersey City called Johnston Ave once, but it's got a silly new name now....; ^)

I guess the rail was in better condition in the "golden era" of PA usage, I just think that most pictures I've ever seen leading into the tidewater terminals were marginal at best, I'm sure Mr. FREDWLVRR could confirm/deny that for us. Apparently, Jersey Ave/Grand Street was prone to flooding.

Regarding the passenger ops and the Apollos.......The "east end" never handled much in the way of heavy passenger ops even back in the day, except for a trial 1 year run of the Asa Packer in and out of J. Ave terminal back in 38-39......it required a 3-point move just to get it in there, and we are talking with steam engine and full size heavyweight cars....Why they even bothered amazes me. Gas electrics are(were) a bit easier on the rail.

The TOFC traffic out of Grand Street was dragged over using a SW or ALCO S set to OI, no "mainline" power was dispatched from JC.
As I said, a rigid 6 axle unit like a PA seems an unlikely canidate for such a job to me, but I guess I can't discount it until I have absolute proof otherwise. I'd sooner expect to learn about an FA A-B set cut off from inbound BNE-2, just to rush a cut of hot NKP traffic for the NH float before it closed to show up in J Ave.!

If I may ask one more thing, who is the LV-2 you speak of? Sounds like someone I should get to know (seriously)

CF

#480092  by GOLDEN-ARM

You've already mentioned him, in your post.......... :wink:

#480299  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"]You've already mentioned him, in your post.......... :wink:[/quote]

G-A....

FW is LV-2? Then who is LV-1? MB, prolific LV author?

CF
 #480302  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="tantg"]Hello
To everyone who has replied, thank you, it has been a great help.[/quote]

No problem....When I get a chance to talk to "LV-2", I will see if he has a more concrete answer for us all....He isn't old enough to have seen it happen, but his father was.

CF

#480538  by GOLDEN-ARM

CF, MB=LV-1, FW=LV-2, DF=LV-3, and so on......... :wink:

#480623  by CarterB

What electric, if any, LV operations for freight were there from Hunter on over the river's bridges to Claremont, Greenville or other locations?

#480662  by GOLDEN-ARM

The Valley had NO electric operations, in standard gauge. The wire at hunter ran west on two track to the west end of the NK plant, at Meeker. The Valley did have electric operations, in a small 2 foot gauge operation, moving cars around the piers at Claremont, but this wouldn'tqualify as actual "freight operations", per se. The wire was run up to NK to allow power swaps to be done off the Pennsy mainline, and "out of the hair" of Hunter tower. Some might say the catenary at NK was a blight on the local scenery............ :P

#480695  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"]Some might say the catenary at NK was a blight on the local scenery............ :P[/quote]

You got that right, G-A, not to mention that whole dreadful stock control debacle BS in '62.......LV engines should be CORNELL Red, NOT TUSCAN Red!...........; ^ )

CF