Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Tug Cornell - EEMI - Greenport

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#425582  by resolute

Hello, my name is Josh Horton. I am the Chairman of the "East End Maritime Institute." We charter the Tug Cornell and she serves as the centerpiece and training platform of the organization. Our primary function is to provide training for entry level deck and engineering positions to young men and women interested in starting a career afloat in the coastwise maritime trades. Upon completion of their training and having obtained a Merchant Mariner's Document we then work with these students to place them in jobs.

My good friend Matt purchased the Cornell in April. He too is a board member of the EEMI. Matt and I are both experienced in the NY/East Coast Tug/barge trade. (Matt is a SUNY Maritime Grad and is currently a tug engneer in NY Harbor. He is also accomplished with steam engines)

In addition to our primary function of vocational training, it is our intention to restore the Cornell to her original working form. (To that end, if any one can point us in the direction of obtaining "Cornell Red" we'd be forever grateful. We transitioned her from Reinauer baige/red to full red but we'd like to apply her historic shade of "Cornell Red".) Prior to her being in Havre De Grace Maryland for several years she was owned by "Boston Towing" and subsideary of NY based Reinauer Transportation. www.reinauer.com

Our organization is new and developing. As soon as we have a website up in the next few weeks I'll post the link here.

In the meantime, interest, history, words of encouragment and advice are all welcome. I can be reached via email at [email protected] or at my office at 631 477 9600.

We are located in Greenport so please let us know if you will be in town so we can set up a proper tour.

Best regards,

Josh Horton

#425679  by GOLDEN-ARM

DuPont makes Cornell Red, if you know where to find a commercial dealer, for DuPont paints. You might hasve to find an original color catalog, from the early 70's, to obtain the correct part number. Good Luck, and be sure to talk to "carfloater', on this forum. He might have the original funnel (smokestack) in his livingroom............

#425771  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"] He might have the original funnel (smokestack) in his livingroom............[/quote]

Hardy-har-har! ; ^ )

It's one thing I DON'T have, but I do have the engine room bell (no, really, I do!)

Josh and I have been in contact already, and hopefully the Cornell will soon return to her former paint job

CF

#426191  by GOLDEN-ARM

Fine, I have the original funnel. Was hoping to throw him off track, by sending him to your house........ :P

#426248  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"]Was hoping to throw him off track, by sending him to your house........ :P[/quote]

Nice try! ;^)

I figure at this rate, I'll be able to rebuild the Hazleton in no time.......Now I just have to go get my divers certification.......

CF

#430886  by GRSJr

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:DuPont makes Cornell Red, if you know where to find a commercial dealer, for DuPont paints. You might hasve to find an original color catalog, from the early 70's, to obtain the correct part number. Good Luck, and be sure to talk to "carfloater', on this forum. He might have the original funnel (smokestack) in his livingroom............
I posted the DuPont paint numbers on another thread. I'm not at home now so I can't post them again at the moment. The other thread Paint.

Ray has to do with Cornell Red paint.

Ray

#430887  by GRSJr

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:DuPont makes Cornell Red, if you know where to find a commercial dealer, for DuPont paints. You might hasve to find an original color catalog, from the early 70's, to obtain the correct part number. Good Luck, and be sure to talk to "carfloater', on this forum. He might have the original funnel (smokestack) in his livingroom............
I posted the DuPont paint numbers on another thread. I'm not at home now so I can't post them again at the moment. The other thread has to do with Cornell Red paint.

Ray