Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Tower in Saucon Yard

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#375162  by frankgaron2

Hi There:

Does anybody know the exact location where Lehigh Tower stood? I never did manage to get a picture of this one - I understand it's been leveled.

Would love to see a picture of it - if anybody has one here that they can post?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

#375404  by westernfalls

The 1913 BY Tower was on the west side of the tracks just south
of the bridge over Saucon Creek. It was replaced in 1953 by a unit
lever console located in the south end of the new yard office building
on the east side of the tracks.

#375560  by Franklin Gowen

westernfalls, when the controls were relocated to the yard office, was this also when KASIE interlocking was put under control of LEHIGH?

When was BY Tower actually demolished? Did it linger after the CTC cutover to the yard office, or did it come down right away?

#375611  by westernfalls

The new BY non-tower was put in service on 8/6/53, according to my notes.
I don't know, but neither can I imagine, that the wooden tower wasn't
demolished the next day. Remote control of the tunnel interlocking at
Perkasie was taken over on 2/23/61.
 #380586  by 2nd trick op

I'm posting a link to a Yahoo group which is atttemptng to compile a reference source for the 7000-or-so manned interlockings which once controlled North American rail traffic. Two extensive lists of Reading Company towers are accessible to members in the "Files" section.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/A ... towerlist/