Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned LV signal bridge in NJ.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#359994  by TB Diamond

The signal bridge at what was Geneva Jct. still stands, as well. One track still passes underneath it, used on occasion.

#361254  by lvrr325

One in Athens yet, too.

#364451  by calorosome

Athens? I thought they tore that down years ago.
 #364470  by Lehighrrgreg

Athens signal is gone. The only remnants of RA interlocking or CP Athens is the relay bungalo and the concrete base of the tower. The semaphores that were one there are still there!!! Remarkably, not many know this but the next time you find yourself in Athens, take note of the sidewalk crossing arms. See what the arms are bolted to. GRS Semaphore spectacles- minus the enamel blade and lenses painted silver. I should get a photo of these some time.

There are only scattered remains of the signal system along the Lehigh between VanEtten and Mehoopany. Most of them being between Sayre and Mehoopany.

On the subject of this. I am going nuts and rutsching around trying to find one of the old pre CR number plates from an LV auto signal. If anyone has anything...by all means...send me a price and a photo.
[email protected]

Greg

#364625  by TB Diamond

The sidewalk crossing gates at the Mendon, NY Rt. 64 crossing were equipped with GRS semaphore blade motors. One of the gates appears in a photo I took in February 1971 of a LV w/b freight train. Seems the old Lehigh Valley RR was into recycling long before it became fashionable.

#364660  by Lehighrrgreg

Right you are...Ive been told by old LV MW guys around here (Sayre) that LV used old steam engine boiler sheeting and piping for mileposts and whistle posts while others in the region like the Lackawanna, NYC and Erie had large cast cement posts with beveled edges, etc and often used tie plates as counterweights on crossing arms when weight plates were readily available from GRS. Wooden painted station signs, originally gold leaf were just painted over with yellow paint when they became weather beaten, rather than being replaced with baked enamel or cast metal like the PRR, NYC and others. The LV seemed to take a common sense or even frugal approach to things like this but was right in stride when it came to direct public interface materials like cast brass doorknobs at Allentown or LV in cast iron at Easton.

#365806  by lvrr325

That's why you can't find old LV mileposts or whistle signs. The tubing could be bent over, it would crimp flat where bent, and then could be bent back and forth until it broke off. I figured that one out when I noticed the base to a whistle post near Kendaia in Conrail days and later noticed an oddly short LV whistle sign in someone's front yard. I think the only way to find one now would be to do some serious tresspassing to find one that was well away from anyplace it would be easy to get to by the average person - you might literally have to hike several miles.

It's been too long since I was in Athens, but there was like a 6-track signal bridge with nothing on it across down below where the line curves kind of westward to cut across town, I have some pictures with it in. I suppose it could have been scrapped by now, but I never heard about it being done. Below Milan there used to be a lineside mast or two, with heads turned aside and no guts.

I'd like to know who got their hands on the signal heads that were at Geneva Jct. in 1993 - some of them were just laying on the ground there. I can't imagine Conrail having picked them up for anything - by the time I thought I should pick one up, they were gone. The tower foundation is still there, too, and had some odds and ends of relay parts in it last time I was there.

#366260  by TB Diamond

The tower foundation at Geneva Jct. was utilized by the LVRR for the CTC interlocking electrical gear in lieu of the normal steel bungalow. Another example of the old Lehigh Valley Railroad recycling program.