Railroad Forums 

• LV paint schemes for late 1960s

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#332683  by nscaler

I have previously posted a question about Cortland NY. I got a reply that the LV used RS2 and RS3 in the area, I have checked the George Elwood's Fallen Flag site and found an example of an RS-3 from 1960 and one from 1974. They have two different paint schemes. Would someone know the correct paint scheme for 1968? Also, would that be the general scheme for all engines around that year?

Thanks,

#332684  by scottychaos

the correct paintscheme for 1968 would totally depend on the specific locomotive being modeled..

locos got painted at different times, so it was possible (and very likely with the LV!) that two locomotives of the same model (such as RS3) would be in different paintschemes at the same time..

do you have a specific loco you want to model?
if so, we can probably nail down the paint scheme for 1968..

and no, there would be no one specific paintscheme for 1968..
it was all over the board.

Scot

#332719  by nscaler

Scott,

I am specifically looking for RS-2 #213 and RS-3 #215. I have a photo of RS-3 215, but it is from 1960. It appears t be painted the Cornell Red with what I think is the LV flag on the front, but not sure.

Thanking you in advance.

#334008  by Mr. Lehigh

I've heard stories that the LV would use whatever shade of red was on sale and call that Cornell Red. Is that true or just folklore?

#334209  by TB Diamond

A strong probability.

#334321  by GOLDEN-ARM

Carl Steckler Juniors' book about the LV paint schemes, for diesel engines, gives a unit by unit breakdown, on what was painted into which scheme, and when. Believe it or not, the Valley had almost 60 variations, on diesel paint schemes. His book includes the original scheme, and a guide to every repaint, with dates (sometimes estimated, from known photos) and a picture, of every scheme done. Mine's at home, but it's worth the very affordable price, he charges. He can be contacted, for ordering info, at: [email protected] "Lehigh Valley Railroad Diesel Paint Schemes (1925-1976), by Carl Steckler, 40 Simms Hill Rd, Dryden, NY 13053, 1993"
You will know exactly what schemes the locos wore, that you are asking about. The spiral bound book, was around 20 bucks, if I recall. This book is a "must have", for any Valley afficianado........... :wink:

According to Carl, Mike Bednar, and other published sources, Cornell red was indeed, a "real" color created for, and used by the railroad, in it's diesels, beginning in the mid to late 40's. The vendor changed, in the mid 60's, resulting in a slight color shift,(after a foray into the netherworld of PRR Tuscan) and there are confirmed accounts, of paint being added to Cornell red, to make enough, to paint a given loco. According to the words of a LV painter, from the interview in the book, they even used blue and/or white, to "stretch" the paint, to make enough. This will account for, on occasion, locos painted in the same year, varying slightly in shades of Red, or Tuscan.
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

#334323  by the missing link

:wink: way cool! thanks for the source, another must have reference!