Railroad Forums 

• WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE LV "WELL CENTER" FLAT CAR

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#289726  by GOLDEN-ARM

Looking for info, on LV 9955, the 4 axle, well center flat car, built in the 50's, by General Steel Castings. Did it survive into Conrail? If so, did it survive after that? Thanks, for your replies :-D

#289963  by GOLDEN-ARM

Uh, thanks for trying, but not even slightly close. Find a picture, of the original car I am asking about, then tell me what happened to it. I have plenty of pictures, of it. Those cars you posted, are not even close. Regards :(
As an aside, I have an equipment roster, from 1962, and the car is not on the roster. Was it renumbered? Nine years is a short lifespan, for a specialized freight car...........

#296334  by GRSJr

I have plenty of pictures, (of 9955)
How about getting them scanned and sharing them with us?

#296569  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sounds great, except I am sitting in a motel, in SW Oregon, and have been for the last 5 weeks. My stuff is split, between Florida, and N.M., so for now, it's a no-go. Funny, the only version on the Valley rated a brass model of it, and it appears to have survived less than 8 years, unheard of for a "modern" freight car. (by the standards of that era)That car was a "one-off" model, with two other flats, for dimensional loads also sharing the roster, and lasting up to the Conrail era. Three drop center flats, also rostered, but not making it to C-day. Thanks for any assistance

#314506  by GRSJr

9951, 9952, 9953 are on the October 1945 roster, but not on the January 1958 roster. They are listed as (55' 7" ol) well-hole flats.

9955 isn't on either roster.

#314960  by GOLDEN-ARM

I found this info, about the three matching Sayre Built Well Cars, and a single photo of one of them. No further info, on the 9955, which I was wondering about.

There were plans and a photo of an LV well hole car in the 1922 Cyc. The plan showed a car that was 55 ft. 10 ins. long, riding on 6-wheel trucks. This car was basically a fishbelly side sill flat with a hole in the center, 26 ft. 2 ins. long by 6 ft. 1 in. wide. The plan showed a wood deck, but the photo showed a steel deck. The sill at the ends was a foot thick, and 23 inches deep at the center.

In 1949, there were three cars in the series 9951-9953. The cars were rated at 110 tons. The LV destroyed these cars in 1956.

Lehigh Valley 9955 well center flat-car built in 1958. This was much different than the earlier cars. This LV car, no. 9955, was the only one. It rode on 28 inch diameter wheels. Disposition unknown, regarding it.

#316447  by nydepot

If someone can find this article (I can't seem to find it) then it does have a short history of the car along with photos. It may tell if it lasted until 1968 at least.

Railroad Model Craftsman, August 1968 page 25

I used the drawings from Craig Bossler to do decals of one. I have the brass model of 9955 sitting in front of me as I type this.

Charles

#316587  by GOLDEN-ARM

Mine came with the decals, although I haven't painted it yet, I suspect the decals are too old to use. I will spay them with some Dullcote first, to see if it holds them together. I'm wanting to paint it soon, but I also was looking for it's last known useage, which, according to the LV equipment rosters, was sometime in late 1960, early 1961.