Railroad Forums 

• Reading Perkiomen Branch

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#4546  by AlexC

The old Perk Branch thread had tons of good info... (sadly it disappeared).
I'm hoping someone has anything new to add, or just relate some old railfanning stories or memories of it.

My Perk Branch page is still around. Tons of hits (thanks guys!)
I added a few pictures of ROW between Red Hill and East Greenville. I've got some pictures of a Reading Ramble that stopped in Schwenksville, I'll probably have those up tomorrow or the next day...

thanks!
-alex

#5328  by thebigham

Excellent, excellent website!!

Great research and maps...

Thanks,

Chris

#5385  by Schuylkill Valley

I can rember seeing a train in down town Collegeville one time . Not sure of the year but it was in the 70`s .

One unit 18 cars .

Len.

#6116  by rushhour

Great site! Would you be doing any research on any other lines in the general area?

#6162  by AlexC

thanks guys....

I'm tempted to do the Colebrookedale Branch..... or the Phoenixville & West Chester (now the sort-of-abandoned, Devault line).
That line comes off the lower end of the Perk, over to Montclair, across the viaduct, through Phoenixville down to Devault. It used to go to Fraser... but that was cut back lonnnnng ago.

#6282  by rushhour

It would be really cool to see the Colebrookedale Branch or the Devault Branch.

#6359  by RR_Fan

Alex,
I would also like to say that you have a very good site. Packed with all kinds of info for the Perk. I also think it would be cool to see the other branches covered.

Take Care.
Jeff
 #15357  by jrevans

I was scanning the PA PUC website and saw this:

[quote]
A-00120408 - Application of the Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for approval to alter the public at-grade crossing by the installation of automatically operated flashing-light railroad crossing warning signals where Kings Highway South (T-985) crosses, at grade, (DOT 589 561 T) a single track of Penn Eastern Rail Lines, Inc. in Upper Milford Township, Lehigh County; all in accordance with the Federal Highway Grade Crossing Safety Program; and the allocation of costs incident thereto.
[quote]

Looking at my Lehigh County map, I see that's the crossing in Zionsville, in between the Vera Cruz Road crossing and the Rock Road crossing.

Here's the full document detailing the change.

#42598  by AlexC

I thought I saw some tracks from an abandoned spur sticking out of Powder Valley Road while quickly driving over it.
Has anyone seen this? I was unable to turn around and go back.
 #43345  by IRN750

Alex there used to be a spur that went off the branch near PowderValley that went to a PP&l sub station and they would get flat cars with generators delv. there. This may be what you seen. Its been many yrs since I've been down that neck of the woods and I don't know if any of this track is still there just a guess.

#43886  by AlexC

IRN750... thanks.
That spur's still there.
See here and here.
That PP&L spur is one of the longest on the branch. I think only the Graterford Prison spur is longer.

It might have been a spur to the dam? I dunno. Need a road trip.
 #58791  by jrevans

AlexC wrote:Finally!
Finally I caught a train on this branch!
http://charyna.homeunix.com/trains/Perk ... 41006.html
Awesome catch, Alex! I've never caught a train on that line yet.

Observations:
- You spelled "brake" incorrectly
- Links for "Through Corning" and "Station Ave at Palm" point to the same image.

:-)

Thanks for the great pics! I may have to sign up to the Tr-State email list.

#58924  by AlexC

Jim, that's what you get for midnight effort! Fixed the changes.

The tristate list is excellent. Everyonce in a while you get a really lucky break.

The message I got was ...
"Also, the PRL ran the Perk today...but unfortunately went back light from Emmaus Junction due to the HA13 not having delivered their cars yet. They might run tomorrow...expecting some 8-10 loads to pickup."

The ended up pulling 11 cars back down to East Greenville.

My favorite shot is this one...
http://charyna.homeunix.com/trains/Perk ... G_9333.jpg
 #58925  by jrevans

AlexC wrote:Jim, that's what you get for midnight effort! Fixed the changes.
I appreciate all of your effort!
AlexC wrote: The tristate list is excellent. Everyonce in a while you get a really lucky break.
I just subbed to the list last night and was accepted today. (digest mode) I'm looking forward to seeing what's on there.
AlexC wrote: My favorite shot is this one...
http://charyna.homeunix.com/trains/Perk ... G_9333.jpg
Is that by the overhead bridge with really, really low clearance? That bridge amazes me.

JimE